starting Q tank

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, TSS worked for me and I am started my quarantine tank in order to add more fish. I am using a cheap 10 gallon kit (petsmart has one for 25 that only needs heater added.) I was planning on adding TSS when add my 3 platies but wanted to know if I could put some, maybe 3-5 ceramic noodles from my Fluval in panty hose in the tank to help, or would you just use the TSS since my tank is so new? I could replace with 3-5 new ones as I bought a box to keep on hand since I am not certain when to do what, I got extra of all media. I could also add some of my cut up polishing pad as I cut it up but kept it in the filter in case had bb on it. I was going to put the filter on the tank I have but 1) I would have to cut the hood to do this and I have glo fish which I am told like to jump at times and this would leave a hole when I put the filter on the 10 gallon tank and 2) I have heard they are noisy and it is in my 3 year old daughters room. The fluval you cannot tell is on.

I really want to use the q tank as the platies around here have not all looked that great. some are great, but I have also gone in and seen a few lying on the bottom. I asked a friend that works at LFS and at first she said don't quarantine then when I said Platies she said she would quarantine as they have been getting some sick ones with nearly every shipment although the store would not admit it.
thanks for any help you can offier.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I personally wouldn't spend the money on TSS for a QT since, in theory, a QT will not be used all the time. I would stuff as much filter media into the Fluval as you can now, give it a month or so, add that media to the filter for the 10 gallon.

I'm kinda confused when you talk about the filter for the 10 gallon. It sounds like you're asking if you can do without it? I doubt the glofish would have such good aim as to make it out the small gap, but you can always duct tape around it to be sure. I wouldn't recommend using no filter at all.

-Lisa

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Kunsthure said:

I'm kinda confused when you talk about the filter for the 10 gallon. It sounds like you're asking if you can do without it? I doubt the glofish would have such good aim as to make it out the small gap, but you can always duct tape around it to be sure. I wouldn't recommend using no filter at all.

-Lisa
No I was saying if I add the filter for the 10 gallon to my tank and run on my existing tank I would have to cut the hole then when I move there will be a big hole that the glofish could jump out of. Hope that clarifies.
I appreciate the help.
I am not certain how to put the media in the filter only in the tank and one is a fluval and the other is the HOB that came with the kit?

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
In my HOBs I have spare sponges stuffed in there so I can immediately transfer to a Q tank.
I have zebra danios which are just natural glo fish, and they hardly jump at all even with the lid off. I used to occassionally hear them at night, but they do not do this any more.

I have spaces round my filter to let cables go through and they are fine, but you can have some mesh (needlepoint mesh eg) or keep the section you cut off to re-attach with duct tape when you need to so you can remove it again when the filter goes back to cover the hole when not in use. Having the filter running on the main tank is a possibility if you can manage it.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What I've been toying with for QT filter media is buying the bio-bags that go in HOB. And then when it comes time to move filter media, I would take bio-max from one filter and place it into the bio-bag and put the bio-bag into the HOB or internal filter I use in the QT. I would imagine you could do something similar with the extra filter media, like the cut up polishing pads or ceramic noodles.

-Lisa

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you are worried about them jumping, could you lower the water level and extend the intake of the HOB into the water? That way you'd have about 25Gs of water, but they won't jump. Just my :

NewbieGirl

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
thanks for the advice. I may end up having an even better solution for the issue at least temporarily. My boss has agreed for me to have a 55 gallon at work. I think I will get it up and running, spend my money on this. Put the new fish in when ready then after using that as a one time quarantine I will then transfer to the 29. All the while running a Q tank filter on this one which will not have glofish. I live about 5 minutes from work and am the boss of my division and of the building so have constant access. This way, I can cycle both the tank and the quarantine tank at the same time then just keep the filter there for when needed.
If, I decide to run the filter on the 29 I think I will use the mesh idea with duct tape.
I think I have MTS????
Thanks

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads