Starting Planted Tank Help!

FishAreFriends24
Hi!
I have a 60 gallontank with tiger barbs a convict cichlid, a golden Severum,and 2 Rafael catfish. I have gravel and eco complete as a substrate right now but I want a substrate that I don’t have to add root tabs or things to the water.
Do I need to add anything with eco complete?
If so What’s a better substrate ?
Also what plants would be best for this tank??

Anything would be helpful thank you!!

Advertisement
PeauMon
The substrate that you're currently using is fine.... Root tabs isn't really required. IF you like to carpet your tank, you could add carpet plants

Advertisement
Dave Weber
Double check to see what plants are compatible with those fish,
Make sure they are not plant eaters or diggers

Rtessy
I was "renting" some convict cichlids for a while and they can go a little nuts with plants.... they don't actually eat them, but they will uproot everything and maybe tear it up a bit. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you would need something well rooted

Dave Weber
I was "renting" some convict cichlids for a while and they can go a little nuts with plants.... they don't actually eat them, but they will uproot everything and maybe tear it up a bit. I'm not saying it can't be done, but you would need something well rooted
Renting fish?

Rtessy
Lol yeah, my LFS just straight up gave me ten for free to cycle my tank and just told me to bring them back in three weeks... I hadn't even bought anything from them yet... I guess my fish less cycle actually worked though because I never registered ammonia or nitrite but nitrate finally started showing up.

Advertisement

Harpua
Would really like a planted community tank, but I really hard/alkaline tap water which would be more suitable for a cichlid tank...thoughts on planted cichlid tank? Can it be done?

Rtessy
Would really like a planted community tank, but I really hard/alkaline tap water which would be more suitable for a cichlid tank...thoughts on planted cichlid tank? Can it be done?
You'd be able to get more replies if you made your own thread... I only know a little bit about planted tanks and almost nothing about cichlids. The convicts uprooted everything in about two days though.

Harpua
You'd be able to get more replies if you made your own thread... I only know a little bit about planted tanks and almost nothing about cichlids. The convicts uprooted everything in about two days though.
yea sorry, will do that... pretty sure from the research I've done that most cichlids are a no go w/planted tanks, unless you keep dwarf cichlids

Rtessy
yea sorry, will do that... pretty sure from the research I've done that most cichlids are a no go w/planted tanks, unless you keep dwarf cichlids
I mean, you're not supposed to keep 2 male betta's together, especially with 14 females, but someone on here has achieved that (extremely impressive, let me say) with other fish as well, so it may be worth asking.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
-Mak-
Replies
Views
TheAnglerAquarist
Replies
Views
dbraunsdorf
  • Question
Replies