Starting over

Trisomy21

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Alright, lost at least 1/2 of my fish to Ich, and I want to start over with my 65 gallon.

I have some random African cichlids left (can move them when they're 100% healthy). I'd really like to have a larger showpiece fish with lots of personality and maybe a few companions. Also, upgrading their tank in the future is no problem either. Suggestions?

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don't mean to be rude, but do you know why you lost half your fish to ich?

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

So sorry to hear that you've lost fish to ICH.

I've seen mention by several members that African Cichlids should be a species only tank.
I don't recommend housing these fish in a community tank.

Let's see what other responses you receive.
Best wishes!
Ken

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In your Aquarium Info it says your temp is 78c = 172.4F can't have ich (or even fish ) at them temps.. jk....good luck with your tank

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Well, Don, the assumption would be that Trisomy meant 78 degrees farenheit.

Trisomy21

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes I know exactly why I lost them to ich. I gave my 35 gal and some fish to my friend downstairs, she got bored of them and went out and bought new fish and blue lobsters that wouldn't get along...So either I take them back or she was going to get rid of them....Yeah, naturally I took them back, had no quarantine tank and boom! They looked fine and showed no signs for the first couple days. I'm severely mad that she couldn't at least wait or give me some notice. That's just irresponsible fish keeping right there.

Also I relied on Ich medications that simply didn't work, should have raised the temp right away, ah well valuable lessons. Since then I've got a quarantine tank, a good extra heater in my 65 and some cichlid salt. At least now I'm prepared.

I never had problems with African's I was keeping, a little bit of chasing here and there but no serious aggression problems or missing fins, even my slow-moving pleco looks great, plus before taking those fish back there was some breeding going on, the fry survived and are looking pretty good.
Even had a green sunfish in there, well he died :|

And yeah it is actually 78C, I like to cook bacon on the hood in the morning s and keep my coffee hot....lol (I'll fix that).

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads