Starting Over

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by DeePoth, Apr 2, 2019.

1. DeePothNew MemberMember

So my little betta died today :( he was the only one left in my community tank with neon tetras and snails. I suspected my neons had NTD but I am super inexperienced so I could be totally wrong.

My question is, can I clean everything in my tank, cycle it and get new fish? Should I get new gravel? Should I get rid of the plants? Should I use a bit of the water from the current tank to cycle the new water? My worry is that there is some kind of disease lurking in my tank somewhere that could transfer to the new fish. Is there a way I can safely sanitize everything?

2. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

3. DeePothNew MemberMember

4. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Peroxide is good but in the concentration you'd need to disinfect the tank (pretty much pure peroxide) you'd kill off all of any beneficial bacteria you already have. What I'd do is just let the tank run empty, feed it ammonia-here's a dosing calculator:

GET A TEST KIT, not strips and test parameters (I suspect your whole problem started because your tank wasnt cycled before you put fish in it)-make sure it's cycled and give it a couple weeks to let any parasites die, most will without a host. Ich can only survive about 14 days in an empty tank.

5. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Shouldn't hurt your plant. Personally I would rinse your filter media good and do a big water change after just because. It would help get rid of dead organics after the treatment.

6. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

Oh, and leave your plants in there, they love ammonia...

7. jdhefModeratorModerator Member

It say's in your profile that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle, so it is very likely your fish died from ammonia and/or nitrite exposure. If that is the case there would be no need to sterilize your tank, before adding new fish.

I highly recommend you read up on the nitrogen cycle. It really is the most important thing to understand when keeping fish.

Best of luck!

8. EffaMoultonValued MemberMember

Good video on the nitrogen cycle.