Starting Over

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Ohio Mark, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Ohio Mark

Ohio Mark Well Known Member Member

I'm doing a bit of venting here...

For months I have been trying to cycle a 10 gallon tank and I am now ready to admit defeat and start all over. Now I'm thinking I might just bump it up to a 20 while I'm already taking things apart and starting over. I had no problem doing a 20 at home, but I believe the water at work (where my 10 gallon is currently bubbling away uselessly in my office) and I'm seriously considering just bringing water from home or buying it close to work.

Have any of you ever just thrown your hands in the air and given up on a cycle?

2. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

No, I do fishless cycles using clear ammonia and   cycle time 7-12 days.

EDIT: I been thinking. If your water is below a Ph of 7 that may be an issue. As you get lower in Ph the ammonia turns to ammonium which is hard for the bacteria to process.

3. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

My tap water tests much higher PH than 7.

Do you mind sharing info. on how you cycle using ammonia & stability?

4. Thunder_o_b

This is a cut and post from another thread on how I do it. There is an on going debate on this.

"For me it takes 7-12 days.

There are those that argue that it can not be done but we have had members do it in less.

As I have posted many times in other threads I and others have done this for years and it always works. BUT as with all things in life there are no guarantees, well except for the love of a dog .

This is what I do.

1. Have the ph at 7 or higher.
    2. Have water temp over 80 degrees.
    3. Have good aireation.
    4. Add clear   and get the ppm to 12 or higher and keep it there.
    5. Add a good quality bacteria. I have used this for years and it has never failed to work

6. Do not change the water untill you read no ammonia or   and are reading  . At that time do a 50% water change. And bring the temp down to where you will be keeping it for the fish.
    7. Repeat. When the readings are again at 0,0 and nitrates are reading do a then 90% water changeand you are ready to fully stock the tank.

And I double or tripple the bacteria dose.

Of course You must have the filtration running from the start."

5. OP
    OP
    Ohio Mark

Thanks! How much ammonia do you add?

6. Thunder_o_b

I test the water to get it to 12 PPM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice