Starting over

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Neen, Mar 30, 2006.

1. NeenNew MemberMember

I'm going to try again. :-[ I'm hooked & I miss my Betta. :'( I rinsed out my tank & the gravel. I don't know if I should just wash everything with hot water or should I use detergent. If detergent, any specific kind? I am not going to use the same gravel. I want to go with a more natural look this time. How much gravel should I use? Is it just personal preference or is there a rule? I think I had to much in my tank last time & I know it is harder to clean the deeper it is.

I would like to use sea shells (already washed & boiled) & drift wood. Will having those items in my tank do anything to my water chemistry? My water is naturally alkaline 8.0 right out of the tap. How will that alkalinity affect plants? Will they do well?

Thanks in advance. ;) Gina

2. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

I wouldn't use seashells, they'll just jack up your pH and hardness. Driftwood tends to do the opposite, but it sounds like that wouldn't be a bad thing. ;) Make sure to soak it in water until the water remains clear, or it will make your tank water brown.

I don't think a high pH will effect the hardier plants like Java Moss.

You should use 1-2 lbs of gravel per gallon.

3. zebraValued MemberMember

I know that I am not an expert, but. I have only had mine for two weeks, but did alot of reading before purchasing and asked alot of questions.
    If you are going for a beta again.(the info is for a betta)
    You should not use anything that is sharp, this can cause cuts and infection, this also refers to plastic plants. So the shells, you may want to rethink, make sure that they are not sharp and that they are fully cleaned. I am from Florida originally and used to collect shells and know that some of them are quite sharp and have alot of dirt and other things attached to them.
    I have typical aquarium gravel in mine and a real plant that he swims in and out of and even falls asleep on.
    The gravel is higher on top of the plant to keeep it weighed down, but much lower in other areas.
    Since the plant is not a rhizome it can be planted right in the gravel and have not had any probles, it is even sending out new roots.
    Got some good info on  

4. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I don't know what kind of plant I have in my aquarium, but I bought it out of an aquarium at the pet store. It's doing great and also sending out little tendrils. My corys love to keep the leaves clean on it. It has these small round leaves, does that help anyone tell me what kind it is? Anyway my beta likes to sleep in them also.

5. zebraValued MemberMember

Is the plant tall or is it short? Are the leaves all green or do they have some color or variegation on them.
    Are the plants rigid or do they sort of flow.
    I've got one in the betta tank and alot of others in my 20gal. All seem to be doing good but each is different.
    I don't know alot, but if you can take a picture, if I don't have one of the same in mine, the LFS that I go to sells alot of aquarium plants I can try to find out for you. Or you can always ask from the store that you bought it at.
    Thanks Sharon

6. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

If you want to go with something different and you like plants but don't want to go high tech, check out eco complete. It's black and can really show some contrast for your fish by bringing their colors out. The pieces are smaller than gravel, but not as little as sand. It also is supposed to have a bacteria started to help move the cycle along. It also contains a lot of your nutrients live plants need to stay healthy, and eliminates the need for fertilizing in the substrate. It usually runs around $20.00 per bag though compared to $3.00 or $4.00 for regular gravel. You could also look into using sand. They have many different colors to choose from. I have tahitian moon sand in one of my tanks, and it's really pretty. Just check out the different substrates online and if your local fish store doesn't have it, ask them to order it for you or order online if they won't.

7. NeenNew MemberMember

Yes, I would like to go with another Betta. Your right about the seashells being sharp. I hadn't thought of that. My Betta always hung around my plant & liked to sleep in this rock decoration I had. If I do use shells, I be careful they are not sharp. ;D Thanks Gina

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I used a shell in my first betta tank. It was kind of a trumpet shaped type and I just kind of buried the sharp shaped (it really wasn't sharp) end in a little gravel and he did fine. As long as you have real plants in there he will probably ignore it totally. They really love real plants, especially the tall variety as they need something tall to sleep in at night. Since they breathe through the labyrinth organ located on top of their heads it gives them much less swimming at night to get to the top of the tank when they wake up to go to the top to breathe. (they use gills too so be sure to allow room for them when figuring the amount of fish allowed in your aquarium)

Good luck and I am so glad you are going to try again! :D

Rose
    :)

9. mistycheriValued MemberMember

I looked up aquarium plants on the internet and the closest thing I found that actually looks exactly like my plants, is called Golden Lloydiella, or Creeping Jenny.

10. vinWell Known MemberMember

Creeping Jenny are not true aquatic plants.....Are you sure this is the same plant you have?

11. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

sea shells are not a good idea because they will affect the water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice