Starting over with 29 gallon

Becky Smith

HI folks, the build part is coming later... for now I have some questions regarding making sure the tank is safe. It recently housed one rescue angelfish, who encountered all kinds of health issues, and passed away a couple of nights ago. Here is the link to that whole thread, but I still don't know what the underlying issues were.

Angelfish troubles, several issues | Freshwater Fish Disease 434617

Anyway, I want to make sure there is nothing harmful - viruses, bad bacteria, parasites, etc. in the tank before putting it to use again. I would like a planted community tank when it is safe to create. This tank was put together quickly, and cycled by using filter media from another tank. It has gravel and silk plants, driftwood, and ceramic decor. I am going to change out the ugly substrate for sand, and plant some plants, and use rocks. I'd like to keep the driftwood, but need to make sure it is free of any pathogens also.

My questions, specifically, are:
1- What can I do to ensure the tank and filter are healthy before adding plants and fish?
2- If I was to dispose of the filter media, can I use media from my goldfish tank to reseed it? All my goldfish are healthy. I have recently heard that cold water stuff should not be added to a tropical tank, and vice versa, but this is the first I've heard of that, and can't find anything online to back that up.
3- What should I do to the driftwood?

TIA. I really appreciate the knowledge and support on this site!

AKFishkeeping14

I will admit I'm not very knowledgable in these categories yet but I wish you luck with your tank! It will be awsome to see what you come up with to stock your tank with.

CichlidJynx

HI folks, the build part is coming later... for now I have some questions regarding making sure the tank is safe. It recently housed one rescue angelfish, who encountered all kinds of health issues, and passed away a couple of nights ago. Here is the link to that whole thread, but I still don't know what the underlying issues were.

Angelfish troubles, several issues | Freshwater Fish Disease 434617

Anyway, I want to make sure there is nothing harmful - viruses, bad bacteria, parasites, etc. in the tank before putting it to use again. I would like a planted community tank when it is safe to create. This tank was put together quickly, and cycled by using filter media from another tank. It has gravel and silk plants, driftwood, and ceramic decor. I am going to change out the ugly substrate for sand, and plant some plants, and use rocks. I'd like to keep the driftwood, but need to make sure it is free of any pathogens also.

My questions, specifically, are:
1- What can I do to ensure the tank and filter are healthy before adding plants and fish?
2- If I was to dispose of the filter media, can I use media from my goldfish tank to reseed it? All my goldfish are healthy. I have recently heard that cold water stuff should not be added to a tropical tank, and vice versa, but this is the first I've heard of that, and can't find anything online to back that up.
3- What should I do to the driftwood?

TIA. I really appreciate the knowledge and support on this site!
How heavy are you planning on stocking? Cycling a tank fish in with plants does wonders!

Becky Smith

How heavy are you planning on stocking? Cycling a tank fish in with plants does wonders!

Ack, I've been researching, but have made no decisions yet. I thought step one would be prepping the tank. I inadvertently did a fish in cycle with my first goldfish, but I have learned a LOT since then. Luckily, she is still doing well 16 months later. I guess I would like one or two focal fish... I was thinking an angel and a dwarf gourami (or an angel pair) and otherwise, a couple of species of shoaling or schooling little guys... I particularly like guppies. This question will come in a later thread...

CichlidJynx

Ack, I've been researching, but have made no decisions yet. I thought step one would be prepping the tank. I inadvertently did a fish in cycle with my first goldfish, but I have learned a LOT since then. Luckily, she is still doing well 16 months later. I guess I would like one or two focal fish... I was thinking an angel and a dwarf gourami (or an angel pair) and otherwise, a couple of species of shoaling or schooling little guys... I particularly like guppies. This question will come in a later thread...
If your positive your goldfish is parasite free squeezing a sponge in an aquarium is a very good way to get bacteria in a tank, I would do that two days before getting your fish though. Whatever hunk that falls of the sponge will feed the bacteria for awhile

Becky Smith

If your positive your goldfish is parasite free squeezing a sponge in an aquarium is a very good way to get bacteria in a tank, I would do that two days before getting your fish though. Whatever hunk that falls of the sponge will feed the bacteria for awhile
Yeah, I've seen no signs of trouble in the goldy tank, and it's been up and running for quite a while. I was thinking to clear out my 29 gal altogether, get rid of the filter media, wash everything, and throw some media from my gf filter in there. It runs on two larger canister filters, but I can fold up a piece of floss pad or something to add to my HOB filter on the 29.

altwitch

Bacteria usually live in filter and in substrate so I usually run a spare filter or two in my main for about 2 weeks before starting a new tank and just move it over. I also try to scoop out at least a decent amount of substrate to transfer over. I've never heard of any problems with substrate or equipment moves from cooler temps to higher - biggest concern as you said would be any kind of contamination and sounds like mostly risk free. Anyone who knows something I don't is free to disagree.

EmbersToAshes

If you're really worried about it you can boil or bake the wood and thoroughly clean the tank, filter, and other decor. I don't see why you can't transfer some bacteria from the goldfish tank to cycle.

CichlidJynx

Yeah, I've seen no signs of trouble in the goldy tank, and it's been up and running for quite a while. I was thinking to clear out my 29 gal altogether, get rid of the filter media, wash everything, and throw some media from my gf filter in there. It runs on two larger canister filters, but I can fold up a piece of floss pad or something to add to my HOB filter on the 29.
That will work, be sure not to scoop up to much gravel, aerobic bacteria live in the first inch of substrate. Anything after that would be anaerobic

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
dcocinci
Replies
Views
CatfishGuy
  • Poll
Replies
Views
CHIMERA
Replies