Starting Out

1. C

Colby Barefield New Member Member

Ok I have a 37 gallon tank, everything is set up. I have put water in it and dechlorinator, is there anything else I need to put in it? Also how long should I let it cycle before putting fish in it?

2. Katie13

Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

3. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

I would recommend a fishless cycle. With bottled bacteria fishless cycles usually take around 3-6 weeks.

Do you have a test kit?

Here's what I would do
    1) Raise the temperature to around 80f. Bacteria will grow faster at this temperature.
    2) Add an ammonia source. This could be pure ammonia, a dead shrimp or fish or some fish food. Keep adding ammonia until there is 2ppm ammonia in the water when you test it.
    3) Monitor ammonina, nitrite, nitrate and Ph. Dose more ammonia when it goes below 0.5. If ammonia or nitrate go above 3.5ppm do a water change to get them down to 2ppm or below. If Ph is below 7 bacteria growth will be slowed. You will see a spike in ammonia, then nitrite then nitrate.
    4) Your tank is cycled when you can dose ammonia to 2ppm and ammonia and nitrite are 0ppm 24 hours later and you have some nitrate.
    5) Keep dosing ammonia daily an wait a week. This is to make sure your tank is fully cycled.
    6) Do a large water change to get nitrate below 10ppm
    7) Slowly add fish. About 3 fish every 2 weeks.

4. OP
    OP
    C

When you say bottled bacteria do you mean like bacteria supplement? I had a 10 gallon fish tank when I was a kid I haven't done it since so i am new to all of this.

5. Merryn O'Shea

Merryn O'Shea Valued Member Member

I agree with @BottomDweller 's reply. I remember when I first started fishkeeping and my LFS told me to cycle my tank for a week and then pick the fish I wanted and only buy one every week haha. Those poor fish, I literally dunked them in an ammonia bath.. (this was before I knew of the nitrogen cycle and I was 13)

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah like tetra safe start

7. OP
    OP
    C

Ok thanks for your help