Starting newbie wants Clownfish

1. Blucose Initiate Member

okay, so here come my many many questions:

i want to start my first saltwater aquarium. im afraid i only have a 15 gallon (54 litres) tank at the moment.
    my plan was to keep 2 Ocellaris Clownfishes, because i heard theyre an easy entrance for beginners. so thats my first quesion i guess, would they have enough space? ive tried doing some research, but the sources seem to contradict each other. oh, i should add, i plan to get a BIG aquarium in the summer, 75 gallons or so. so im thinking that i get some small clownfishes, and then put them in the big tank when they get too big? would that work? or would a move be too stressful?

also, if that is all possible, i want to eventually end up with a reef tank. so, how do i start easy? and what kind of plants or corals or anything would be easy to care for for a beginner, that the clownfish would like?

any other tips on this topic would be very useful

Thanks for all your help =]

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I'm popping over from the FW part of the forum to say welcome. It's a bit slow around here because of the holidays, but someone should be along to help you. I hope you had a great Christmas. :)

3. David C Well Known Member Member

I would recommend doing some reading about FOWLR (fish only with live rocks). I've been researching doing a SW tank but I'm nowhere ready to actually start yet. They seem to be the best way to begin and eventually transition into a reef tank. I hope one of the SW people come along and can give you some good advice.

Welcome to FishLore BTW.

Dave

4. Naeusu Member Member

Hello there! Well....15 gallons is adequate but not really optimal for even the smaller clownfish. It's like setting up an area the size of your kitchen and telling you to only live in that. You can do it, but it's not gonna be healthy for you in the long run. The smallest tank I would suggest for even tiny clowns is at least 20 gallons...30 would be best. Even tho you eventually plan to put up the big tank you still have to calculate how long it will tank to buy all the proper equipment and then cycle the tank and then finally get around to moving them. You find out that more and more stuff keeps getting in the way and you forget about it and in the mean time you have two fish that are in an area twice as small as what they need.