Starting new tank

TATOR

Reaction score
Hey I am starting up my 10 gal. tank and was wondering if it was OK to put live plants in before it cycled? I am putting water in it now letting it cycle for 2 weeks just wondering about plants before I spend $ on them thanks (currently boiling rocks )

samandal

Reaction score
If you are putting in live plants bought from the pet store then you should put them in before the water is cycled. That way they will also have a chance to have the bio from the tank. It doesn't take long to get used to the whole fish owner thing, but remember to take into consideration how big your type of fish will get in adulthood. As for me I needed a minimum of 100 gallon for my oscars. I have two and I wouldn't part with them for the world.

atmmachine816

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Add them whenever you want really, sooner the better like samandal said. Look throughplant geek and make sure you don't buy non aquatic plants

tan.b

Well Known
Reaction score
that plantgeek website atmmachine recommended is excellent. I had a look on there the other day. very informative, but easy to follow. it'll have everything you need to know! good luck

Mollygurl

Reaction score
hey. after I move I want 2 start pretty much all over, for 4-H purposes. I was wondering what plants would be good and when 2 add them and where are good places 2 put them.I have a 10 G. w/ an adult blk. molly, 3 blk. fry, and a common pleco.

New Threads