Starting new tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cianball1, Jun 29, 2016.

1. C

Cianball1 New Member Member

Starting a new tank 12g and looking to put a betta and a african dwarf frog in and maybe a few neon tetras and ideas on possible other tank mates and what to cycle it with?

2. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't recommend neons with Betta. Ember tetra may be better option (although I tend to shy away from any fish with Betta) it depends on the Betta. Some of them will kill anything in the tank and some are very peaceful.

I'm unsure on wether the frogs are appropriate so somebody else will have to comment on that.

Other good tank mates are snails and shrimp! Ghost shrimp are dirt cheap. I prefer Amano shrimp (or Japanese Algae Eater shrimp.) I would be weary about using red cherry shrimp or anything brightly colored because my Betta (and again this depends on the Betta) gets aggressive with anything brightly colored. So he is completely peaceful with the drab brown and yellowish Amano shrimp in my tank.

Just curious, if this is your first experience with fish keeping, be sure to look into the Nitrogen cycle and decide if you want to do fish in or fishless cycling. The nitrogen cycle is the key to all fishkeeping.

3. OP
    OP
    C

No I currently have a tank with guppy and black mollies and cycled it with the mollies. I used to have a tank with a betta and a frog before and they were completely fine together just stayed out of each other's way.

Was just wondering what I should cycle this tank one with.

4. codyrex97

codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

You mean a creature to cycle it with or products to cycle it with?

5. OP
    OP
    C

What fish to cycle it with. I don't want to add the betta to cycle it. But I don't know about cycling with a frog

6. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Does this tank have a remove able filter? If so, run the new filter along side your current one for about a month and that will seed the filter. Alternatively you could add some extra filter floss to your current filter and keep it in for a couple weeks to colonize, then move it over to the new filter. Either way should seriously reduce how much you need to cycle your new tank.

7. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I would not recommend ADFs for beginners. They require special feeding with tongs(food has to be waved in front of them because they are nearly blind) and IMO, it's nice to get some fish experience before moving on the non-fish fishkeeping. Also, they are poopy poopers who poop.

I think a lovely betta, some low light plants, and two or so nerite snail minions would be awesome for a 12 gallon!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice