starting new tank with old water

Aurora

Reaction score
I have a cycled 10 gal tank and was wondering if I could use the water from my weekly water change to start a new tank with. I know it would still need some new water added to fill it up, but would this help to get the cycle started faster?

Tumbleweed

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Aurora said:
I have a cycled 10 gal tank and was wondering if I could use the water from my weekly water change to start a new tank with.  I know it would still need some new water added to fill it up, but would this help to get the cycle started faster?
Using the old water would not really help the cycle any. If you could take some gravel/sand or filter from a cycled tank that would help the tank cycle faster.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Yes, Tumbleweed is right. There are really no beneficial bacteria in the water itself (and if there are, that's probably in too small an amount). The beneficial bacteria that are supposed to keep your tank cycled are in the filter/filter media, in the gravel, and possibly on tank walls and decor. If you want to start a new tank, you need not use any water from the cycled 10 gallon tank. You can fill it with new water. If you can, take a piece of your established filter's sponge and put it next to the sponge in the new filter (on the new tank) - this should help to "seed" the new filter with the beneficial bacteria. Also taking some gravel from an established tank and scattering it over the new gravel in the new tank, should help with the cycle. Good Luck

mistycheri

Valued Member
Reaction score
I took some water from my 10 gal. plus the filter in it and used it to help cycle my new 55 gal. tank when I bought it a few months ago. I put a new filter in the 10 gal. since it was already cycled. I left the used filter in with the new ones that came with the 55 gal. tank for about a month. Everything worked out fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom