Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Starting New Tank Today - Questions

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by FishMommer, Apr 3, 2019.

1. FishMommerValued MemberMember

Hi, starting a second tank. Not all set up yet and I have a Vallisneria arriving by 8pm tonight.

1. Do I need to put it in a set up tank immediately or can I just put it in any water? Like a pitcher of tap water - no chemicals added until the tank is ready? I am guessing this might stress it out?

2. Do I need to add water conditioner to Tetra Safe Start Plus before adding TTS+? Or after? Or at all? Confused by some things I have read.

3. I have some CaribSea sand I am adding to the tank. I did rinse it some (seemed like I was just losing sand with rinsing vs. anything else?). It came with a packet of Bio-Magnet Clarifier? Should I add that Before or After Safe start?

4. Aquarium Co-op Easy Green Fertilizer? Again, should I add that before, or after, or not at all with TSS+?

5. Lastly, I did put an extra sponge in our 16 gallons HOB. I could take one out (the older one) and put that in the new HOB? I did just rinse it so, not sure how much BB is there? Will that make any difference with all of this? I think I did that Sunday?

2. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

1. Either way is fine
    2. If you're only adding plants, you don't need TSS for anything
    3. Also not needed, I wouldn't use it anyway
    4. You can add it before or after, it won't make much difference, but usually you don't fert plants the same week you add them to the tank
    5. You won't get a significant bacteria colony in 4 days, and most of it will be gone by the time you add fish since there won't be an ammonia source. I'd just wait

3. FishMommerValued MemberMember

Ok thank you! So another TSS+ question. Do I add it only just before adding fish? I saw something online here stating 2hrs after TSS add fish. The bottle doesn't state when to add the fish. Simply add entire bottle (any tank under 100g) and add fish. Does it matter?

Better to add bottle wait a few days test the parameters and add fish or just do it at once?

4. mattgirlFishlore VIPMember

How long has your 16 gallon tank been set up? Is it fully cycled? How many fish do you have in it? Answers to these questions will help me help you cycle your new tank. BTW: What size is the new tank?

5. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

You can add it before, after, or with the new fish. I've done all three and haven't noticed much difference. Though if it's not a large tank, with not a lot of fish, dumping the whole bottle will just waste a lot of bacteria. Also remember with TSS you can't use anything like prime, or do any water changes for a week

6. FishMommerValued MemberMember

It is a 20 long. I still need to rinse it out. There is nothing in it yet. ;)

Ok good to know about Prime and No water changes.

So I will rinse all out, add sand, add water and TSS+ (half a bottle? less?), add plant when it arrives and start up the filter. Then we will wait to get fish this weekend. Sound like a good plan?
    Hope we can settle on a fish by then. :\

May just prep the 29 gallon with a good rinse in case we have an immediate need for something.

7. nikm128Fishlore VIPMember

Sounds good, I'd use no more than half the bottle, but it also depends on what you get