Starting New Tank after Cloudy Water Fiasco

moremidnight

I’m documenting moving my 3 year old black moor goldfish, named Midnight, to a new tank. Below is background of this decision and stats. I’ll try to post weekly updates and if I have pressing concerns. Helpful comments and suggestions welcome.

Background:
Had an ongoing cloudy water issue for 4 months in established tank with 3 year old black moor goldfish and calico ryukin. Issue started after plant matter lodged in the filtration and decomposed. My ryukin got sick and ended up dying soon after I found the culprit.
After that, I did frequent water changes and used water clarifiers and enzymes of various brands to treat the cloudy water with no success. The bloom kept recurring and worsened.
After most recent treatment (used Imagitarium water clarifier), my moor got swim bladder and was very stressed, hardly moving. I panicked, scrapped the entire tank and moved him to new un-cycled temporary tank. Thankfully, the swim bladder went away after one night in new tank. His behavior is normal now, swimming around, happy little fish.

Plan:
My plan is to monitor him in temporary tank while I set up his new permanent 40 gallon home. Unfortunately, I’m having to establish new nitrogen cycle at the same time.

Starting Stats:
Fish: 1 Black Moor Goldfish, 3 years old, 4 inches long
Temporary Tank:
  • 10 gallon, partial fill (yes, I know it’s small, but it’s all I had on hand and it's temporary)
  • DIY sponge filter
  • at least 50%-75% daily water changes
Ammonia: 0 ppm after water change, 0.25 ppm before water change
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.4
Temp: 71 low, 74 high

Attachments

• IMG_0738.jpg
    IMG_0738.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 23

Rcslade124

What kind of filter are you using in the old tank? It should carry enough bacteria for the one fish to cycle the 40g. Cloudy water can be many things but usually not harmful to the fish.

Upvote 0

moremidnight

I used a hang on back and a sponge filter in the old tank. But tossed them out when I panicked. Unfortunately, I have none of old filter media. You’re right, the cloudy water didn’t appear to harm the fish. The drawbacks was the appearance and strange filmy white strands would build up in the filter, I’d clean it with each water change.

Upvote 0

moremidnight

Sharing a video of Midnight swimming around in his temporary tank:

Upvote 0

moremidnight

UPDATE: One month ago, we moved Midnight to a 55 gallon aquarium. He took a a couple of days to acclimate to the bigger tank, but has been swimming around splendidly! He's a lucky little guy

It's been a game of patience to get the water cycled. I tested the water daily and did my water changes based on the readings. I loved every minute spending time and taking care of this guy and his home!!

The tank is almost fully cycled, here's the current stats:
Tank: 55 gallons, partial fill 42 gallons
Stock: 1 black moor goldfish, 5 inches
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 2ppm
pH: 7.4
Temp: 74 low, 76 high
Water Changes: 25%-33% as needed (daily, every 2-3 days)

Current Issues (let me know if any suggestions!):
  • Waiting for Nitrite to stabilize at 0ppm. The Nitrite spike happened 8 days ago at 5ppm and has decreased with daily water changes.
  • Midnight has some cloudiness in both eyes, hoping this will lessen overtime.
Plans:
I plan on upgrading the filtration from a large sponge filter, DIY bottle/powerhead filter with aquarium floss to a Marineland Magniflow 220 cannister filter. Nothing's necessarily wrong with the current filtration, just that I want to free up the space on the left side of the tank and decrease the noise and vibrations. So, we'll see how it goes.

Attachments

• IMG_0967.jpg
    IMG_0967.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0964.jpg
    IMG_0964.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 13
Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads