Starting new discus tank

Disc61

OK, here it goes. back in the spring of this year I sold all my Discus off as the Job was pulling me away from taking care of them properly. I announced that on here and I remember
SLUG saying "you'll be back, once you get the discus bug you can't stay away very long."
Well, he is right and this time tomorrow I will be getting some new ones at more doorstep. I have missed them since I sold them so will start a new. going to go with some juvies this time around and the tank is ready for them. can't wait.

EricV

Haha I've been resisting the discus bug for quite a while now. Every time I see them though I'm sorely tempted to start again.

junebug

My LFS has this one... I want it so bad But I have no tank for discus. My apartment floor is too weak for a big tank

JoshM

What type will you be getting?

Crunchy

Awesome! Post up pics once you have em!

Disc61

JoshM said:
What type will you be getting?
well, interesting in itself. I have no idea. I have chosen a group of mixed 2.5 - 3inch discus. normally would never do it this way
but these are free. how? won in a contest on another forum for a picture of the one as my profile pic here, I just had to pay shipping.
I just got them in and they are acclimating, will see what we have later. one looks like a red Turq but I didn't take a good look at the rest.
the good thing about this is they are all Tony Tan Discus, just google that and you will see the quality, so I am happy with what ever I got.
Crunchy said:
Awesome! Post up pics once you have em!
Pictures probably tomorrow or sunday, need to let them settle in tonight.

Lilibeth_Seasong

Congrats! Can't wait for pictures!

Disc61

Lilibeth_Seasong said:
Congrats! Can't wait for pictures!
thanks Lilibeth

Quill

You're so lucky, getting free discus! I'd like to try them one day but they're just so expensive. Anyway, I can't wait to see pictures!

Disc61

pictures will come either tomorrow or sunday, we will see how they settle in. very active right now.

1- red Turq
1- spotted leopard
2- red/whites or red valentine
1- snow white - stunning and quickly becoming my favorite, very nice.
1- not sure about this little guy, maybe a blue diamond or cobalt.

Time to share some Pictures
I would apologize in advance though these are terrible pics.
I now believe I have one Red Turq and 1 spotted leopard after getting a better look at them. they are doing well and very active.

here is a better pic of the group

Lucy

Beautiful!

This is one fish that pictures cannot do justice.
They are so cool in person.

Crunchy

Very nice! I believe they will grow out even nicer under your proper care. Are you going to feed beefheart?

Disc61

Crunchy said:
Very nice! I believe they will grow out even nicer under your proper care. Are you going to feed beefheart?
a beefheart flake (called pro-growth) and freeze dried black worms will be their staple.

DiscusDigger

That's awesome.

Disc61 said:
well, interesting in itself. I have no idea. I have chosen a group of mixed 2.5 - 3inch discus. normally would never do it this way
but these are free. how? won in a contest on another forum for a picture of the one as my profile pic here, I just had to pay shipping.
I just got them in and they are acclimating, will see what we have later. one looks like a red Turq but I didn't take a good look at the rest.
the good thing about this is they are all Tony Tan Discus, just google that and you will see the quality, so I am happy with what ever I got.

Pictures probably tomorrow or sunday, need to let them settle in tonight.

Claire Bear

Lovely!

Disc61

growing well after a month, I would recommend Angelfish USA , they have great Angels but also very nice Discus as well
removed

UPDATE with PICS
So it has been 11 weeks and they are growing like a weed, the one above in post # 20 has probably grown beyond 4 inches already and is outpacing his tank mates in leaps and bounds. here is a few pics, I have started them eating some color bits as well as freeze dried beefheart to add to their diet.

TracyLeeAnne

Did you figure out what the blue one was? I like the two-tone pattern he's got going.

junebug

I need a huge tank full of these guys :/ They're so gorgeous! One day... sigh... I'll have my gigantic SA tank

Disc61

TracyH67 said:
Did you figure out what the blue one was? I like the two-tone pattern he's got going.
I am still thinking it is a Blue Cobalt just to young to see some of its pattern yet.

A comparison of this girls growth in just the last 3 weeks she has put on another inch and starting to bulk up a bit. Her and the snow white beside her was roughly the same size in the middle of Sept. the Snow white is growing as well but not at the pace of Red. and they are both eating the same foods.

ALSO SOME PICS OF THE NEWBIES, these 3 are in a Qt tank and will eventually move over and join the other 5. My Wife bought these as a Christmas gift. I just love that woman

noslen1003

what do they call the second picture of the new ones? dotted?
I do not have that kind of "pattern" among my fishes.

Disc61

HI Noslen, how have you been? That is the "Penang Eruption" Leopard.

noslen1003

No wonder - Hans or the Germans do not have that kind of similar fish or breed; maybe the snakeskin.
I have been doing well.
the baby discus -quarter size - that I got from Hans last year - 7 out 10 survived and have grown to 5" or more at this time.
I have 17-discus on my 90-gallon at this time. I kept the water changes on regular 2-3 day basis; all seems to be fine.

Disc61

noslen1003 said:
No wonder - Hans or the Germans do not have that kind of similar fish or breed; maybe the snakeskin.
I have been doing well.
the baby discus -quarter size - that I got from Hans last year - 7 out 10 survived and have grown to 5" or more at this time.
I have 17-discus on my 90-gallon at this time. I kept the water changes on regular 2-3 day basis; all seems to be fine.
They look great, I will be heading into breeding this year. New years resolution of mine, probably not til mid year, but looking forward to it.
Hopefully this Penang will be a part of it.

noslen1003

Good Luck to your breeding goal; hope you find a PAIR.
I had the experience by accident - it was the greatest until it came to the point of raising the fry; too much work for a working person.
would I go thru it again - nope.

Disc61

So a little update, I have combined both of my groups after qt'ing the 3 for 4 weeks. all is well and now they will all grow together in this tank.

I actually have 7 new Snakeskins coming from Hans tomorrow for the empty tank.
Click on Image for Video

noslen1003

so you are now back full-time / with more to come.
let me share one the babies that I got last year from Hans that have grown BIG 5"+ after one year / Red Snake Skin- Hans identified it for me..

Disc61

Yeah Nos I am definitely back, just have all the time now for them. disappointed I had to get rid of my last batch as there was 2 Brilliants from Hans in that mix. they were gorgeous. This will be a completely Snakeskin group, looking forward to it. this is the second tank of Discus now and definitely mo0re to come. Slug mentioned when I left that I wouldn't be gone long, I guess he was right. that Snakeskin above is awesome. this guy below is a Scarlet from Angelfish USA I got back in Sept as my first group back in. he has doubled in size in 4 months or so to over 5 inches.
they are all Tony Tan Discus. I also have 3 of Kenny's but really looking forward to this next group and growing them out.
removed

virusmk

They are all great looking ones, now I am tempted to buy few more and expand my group.
My new tank is almos set up and if everything goes well, soon I can take some good pictures of them

Disc61

Thought I would update pics of this group, first a pic of them back in Sept
removed

the San Merah and Penang are additions to the group in December

removed
removed

The Galaxy Turq
removed
The Blue Diamond
removed

And Big Red as we call him at 6 inches today - pretty good for 5.5 months of growth from 2.5 inches
removed
removed

Slug

Nice! Is Big Red from Angelfish USA? Nice looking fish!

Disc61

Slug said:
Nice! Is Big Red from Angelfish USA? Nice looking fish!
thanks Matt, yes got him from David at Angelfish USA

New Pics, another month has gone by. thought I would share some new pics. Big Red is still growing. back in March he was 5.5 inches now at 6.25 inches.
But, am noticing some of the others starting to catch up a bit. the 2 blue diamonds and the San Marah are all right at 6 inches or just under as well.

virusmk

he is a beauty

Disc61

nice crunchy, yeah he has definitely become my favorite of the 15 I have at the moment.

So another Month, here is Big Red today at 6.5 inches along with the Snow White from the same group. the Snow white took a little longer but is now 5 inches and starting to show some thickness as well.

AmazonPassion

Beautiful Discus. Love Big Red.

Disc61

Thanks Amaz, how have you been??

AmazonPassion

Disc61 said:
Thanks Amaz, how have you been??
Good. Always stalking your Discus thread

At that size, do you still do daily WCs?

Disc61

AmazonPassion said:
Good. Always stalking your Discus thread

At that size, do you still do daily WCs?
No, I have went to every other day. ( for those beginners reading) it is not necessary but I do this all for the benefit of giving each Discus an opportunity to reach their full potential. for some that may only be 5.5 inches.
every other day will go on for a couple more months, I also have another group in another tank that I started out at 2.5 inch. that is going thru the same daily routine.

I also have an empty 120 gl tank that I am getting ready to combine these 2 groups together in about 2-3 months.

my next project should be interesting. with most groups like this there seem to be some on the large side and some on the smaller side. my understanding is that some of these larger ones may put out a hormone to slow the growth of their tankmates. my plan is to take a few small from one group and put them with a few small from the other group. then put the larger ones together. my hope is to get all the smaller ones together and allow for more growth where they might not have seen it in the other tank.
not sure how this will play out but time will tell. I will transfer just one for QT purposes to begin with as one group is an Asian group and the other a German group.
oh I ramble. sorry....

Rivieraneo

Cant wait to see your 120 up with the new group of discus. I love the color variations.

Disc61

So NEW TANK, decided to keep the 2 groups separate after all. the 120 gl will be for Stendkers only as I am getting another group of stendkers in a couple weeks to join the group of snakeskins after I grow them out.
SO, I bought a new 75 gl to replace the old one which really needed replacing as the silicone was starting to shed. I have had a group of lemon tetras in QT for over a month in another tank and it was finally time to put Big Red and the gang in their new home. they seem to be adjusting well at this point, these pics were about 2 hours after transferring them.
removed removed

Lucy

Looks great!

Discus are such graceful fish.

Disc61

Thanks Lucy, agree completely, I like to just sit a relax in front of the tank.

Slug

Looks good, love the reds!

Disc61

a few more Pics this morning, colors seem to say they like their new home.

Slug

Guessing that's a T5 light? I love T5 but just wish they gave off the heat of LEDs.

Disc61

Slug said:
Guessing that's a T5 light? I love T5 but just wish they gave off the heat of LEDs.
Yep, T5's, but I need to change one to a flora for the plants. really gives a nice accent to the colors of the fish though.

Disc61

Some updated pics

Big Red, A Tony Tan Red Scarlet - my biggest Discus to date @ 6.75 inches (from 2.5 inches)
removed

San Merah - from Kenny/Forrest at 6.25 inches
removed
removed

Blue Diamond (deep blue gene) from Kenny/Forrest @ 5.75 inches
removed
removed

nitingdedao

looking very nice !!!!!!!!

ENVY!

Disc61

so it has been October since I posted anything on this group.
BIG RED is just that "BIG" - what a beautiful fish he has become and at just under 7 inches he makes the 5.5 and 6 inch guys look small

Enjoy!!!!!!

THE GROUP

BIG RED

San Merah & Penang eruption

one of the Blue Diamonds

blusshed

They are beautiful! Great job!

Anders247

They look great! Especially love that blue one!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom