15 Gallon Tank Starting New Aquarium!

Mpfeifer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hello anyone who reads this!
I am new to the freshwater aquarium tank and have recently assembled a 15 Gallon Fluval Flex! I am here to discuss my tank and any improvements I can make. I am open to any and all.
I also have a minor concern with algae growth, It has spread it my moss and I am unsure what to do! If you have any advice I am open to everything!
Thanks for taking the time to read!
8d47682d-0eae-4d3f-926f-a83d0c515f55.jpg

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Tank looks great imo. Make sure to cycle the tank if you plan on adding any fish ! Read into the Nitrogen Cycle if you are unsure what cycling is

Dewclaw83

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Mpfeifer said:
The only critters so far are 1 nerite and 1 assassin snail
You ever read “The Most Dangerous Game”? This sounds kinda like that but snail version :hilarious:

Tank looks amazing btw!

Gel0city

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Algae doesn't look that bad, but if it gets out of control you can reduce the amount of light you give to the tank. Make sure the live plants get enough though. You can also dose the tank with some algae prevention meds, but I have no experience with that.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks good! How long has it been running? What ferts are you using?

OP
Mpfeifer

Mpfeifer

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Blueberrybetta said:
Tank looks great imo. Make sure to cycle the tank if you plan on adding any fish ! Read into the Nitrogen Cycle if you are unsure what cycling is
Thank you for the advice, I do plan on adding fish, specifically kulI loaches. I read more into the Nitrogen cycle and plan on properly cycling the tank before adding fish friends!

Dewclaw83 said:
You ever read “The Most Dangerous Game”? This sounds kinda like that but snail version :hilarious:

Tank looks amazing btw!
Haha, experienced that little game in the first stages of the tank. Had many baby snails showing up but the assassin snail has developed a bigger appetite!

Gel0city said:
Algae doesn't look that bad, but if it gets out of control you can reduce the amount of light you give to the tank. Make sure the live plants get enough though. You can also dose the tank with some algae prevention meds, but I have no experience with that.
Thanks! I do not plan on adding any chemicals unless it is essential at this point. I will keep a close eye on the growth though and try to minimize the spread!

StarGirl15 said:
Looks good! How long has it been running? What ferts are you using?
Thank you! I have had it operational now with plants coming up on 3 weeks. I have not added any first but am open to it if you have any suggestions!

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Root tabs won't hurt either. Adjusting how long the light is on will help with algae. Usually 6-8 hrs is the most widely used time.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Nice looking tank! You know an assassin can eat a nerite? Assassins eat snails. I have them and that’s what they eat. So you’ll need some feeder snails.
Even though they’re snails they won’t do good in an unicycled tank. So check your reading and change water fi needed.

As to the algae it could be your lighting. How long is it on for and what type of light. I use api co2 booster in my tanks. It helps the plants and kills the algae. I also use the flourish line of ferts. The 2 swords and the Val could use root tabs. 1 and a half tabs would work. Put a half tab under each of those plants. The rest will need the liquid ferts.

I also have a 15g. It’s a nice tank. I have Pygmy Cory’s and shrimp in it and my feeder bladder snails :rolleyes:.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Great looking tank. As others have said, limit your lighting to 6ish hours a day and you should see some algae start to clear up. Great looking scape too

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom