Starting my second tank, a 40 breeder! - Page 2

Wrench

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,441
Reaction score
1,274
Location
San Diego California
Experience
2 years
CTYankee79 said:
You know, I’ve heard that, and I’m thinking that will be the stand for my next tank. Cheap and functional
Cinder blocks are a buck each.
An o.e.x pressure treated piece of plywood will make a good base and you dont have to worry about all the weight on four corners with a stand,rather evenly distributed weight through the whole stand.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #22
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
Wrench said:
Cinder blocks are a buck each.
An o.e.x pressure treated piece of plywood will make a good base and you dont have to worry about all the weight on four corners with a stand,rather evenly distributed weight through the whole stand.
3/4” for the plywood you think?
 

Pariah

Active Member
Member
Messages
163
Reaction score
279
Location
Amish country Ohio. Home state: Alaska (interior)
Experience
5 to 10 years
CTYankee79 said:
I love all the floor space on the 40B!
Agreed about the stand—everything out there is either super expensive or junk (or both)...imaginarium stand seemed like the best bet for the $. Curious , do you put a mat down? I just put the 4 pads on the corners, and it seems ok.
No mat here. Just the pads.
 

Basil

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,296
Reaction score
2,642
Location
Maryland, USA
Experience
2 years
Looks good! I also love the 40 b and have two of them. The first was a freebie and I didn’t even know what size it was. Once I found out, I set up a second!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #25
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
Basil said:
Looks good! I also love the 40 b and have two of them. The first was a freebie and I didn’t even know what size it was. Once I found out, I set up a second!
Thanks! Great size tank for sure
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #26
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
Lots of my plants have arrived, floating them in the tank. Going to be planting today, I’ll update later with pics.
6DAFFC09-1B6A-4C07-9B36-6E67E81D0E3B.jpeg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #28
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
faydout said:
The Balansae, Lucens, and Wisteria are supposed to get here today. Instead of going with a canister, I'm debating getting an Aquaclear powerhead and attaching it to a sponge filter on one side and spray bar on the other to get the flow across the top of the tank that I want.
Excellent, keep us posted on what you end up going with.
I’m still waiting on a package of plants. And then I’ll be ordering foreground and slow growers in a month or so
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #29
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
Alright guys, here it is. Still waiting on more plants, but at least we are up and running and cycling! I think the aquascape came out really nice. It still needs some tweaking and filling in, but I’m definitely pleased with how it turned out.
Water is a bit cloudy, I included a picture with no water. Let me know what you think!
7B1DA2B6-7C0A-4BDF-B52F-998191B14F15.jpeg
2547FB1D-572E-4BA3-965E-494151E0A2C2.jpeg
8179BB6D-85B5-4D46-AE3B-CF180A171FA8.jpeg
 

Sankalpakc

Active Member
Member
Messages
95
Reaction score
84
Location
Southern California
Experience
3 years
CTYankee79 said:
Alright guys, here it is. Still waiting on more plants, but at least we are up and running and cycling! I think the aquascape came out really nice. It still needs some tweaking and filling in, but I’m definitely pleased with how it turned out.
Water is a bit cloudy, I included a picture with no water. Let me know what you think!
7B1DA2B6-7C0A-4BDF-B52F-998191B14F15.jpeg
This is beautifully done! I'm totally saving this post as inspiration for when I redo my 37.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #31
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
Sankalpakc said:
This is beautifully done! I'm totally saving this post as inspiration for when I redo my 37.
^ this makes me so happy :) I was lucky to have my wife and her artistic eye help me out. I’ll post another pic once the water clears up and the rest of the plants are in. Thank you again, it means a lot that this tank can be an inspiration!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #33
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
KribensisLover1 said:
I have a new 40 breeder (March) and I love it. I have a hinged top as well and an AC 70. I used Flourite black sand tho I much prefer the look of BDBS. I love the green backing. It’s just wood?! So cool!!
Thanks! Yeah it’s just hardboard which is like a glorified cardboard/MDF that I picked up at Home Depot. I spray painted it with Krylon (I believe the color was Spanish moss) and just fitted it between the tank rims. I’m glad you like the color—I know most people including myself do blue or black but for this tank I wanted to try something a little different, I figured the green would hide algae and blend in with both the plants and the sponge filter :)

I think I’m going to use the BDBS on my next tank, I’ve heard good stuff about it!
 

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
618
Location
Baltimore
CTYankee79 said:
Thanks! Yeah it’s just hardboard which is like a glorified cardboard/MDF that I picked up at Home Depot. I spray painted it with Krylon (I believe the color was Spanish moss) and just fitted it between the tank rims. I’m glad you like the color—I know most people including myself do blue or black but for this tank I wanted to try something a little different, I figured the green would hide algae and blend in with both the plants and the sponge filter :)

I think I’m going to use the BDBS on my next tank, I’ve heard good stuff about it!
Well I will say the tank I have with bdbs is non planted bc I’m only a year into this so I got the flourite so I could plant. So not sure how it does with plants. Also that is my show tank and it’s acrylic and has a black back already. It’s a 30 flatback hex.

Soooo on my 40 breeder which is glass I want a different look and not blue. I never even thought of green! I don’t like patterns bc I can’t see half my fish lol. Even in my acrylic I couldn’t find my black angel ever (she was tiny and I moved her anyway!). I am coping your idea totally. The tank is backed up to a wall and I can’t wait. Thank you! You really (or I really) haven’t seen any green backs I’ve seen either blue black or patterns. I would love 3D though the two I’ve seen are $$83 and $$146 and sometimes I spill on the back from changing the filter etc so not doing that. Plus now I love your green as much! Sorry to ramble on and keep us posted!!
 

KribensisLover1

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,303
Reaction score
618
Location
Baltimore
CTYankee79 said:
Thanks! Yeah it’s just hardboard which is like a glorified cardboard/MDF that I picked up at Home Depot. I spray painted it with Krylon (I believe the color was Spanish moss) and just fitted it between the tank rims. I’m glad you like the color—I know most people including myself do blue or black but for this tank I wanted to try something a little different, I figured the green would hide algae and blend in with both the plants and the sponge filter :)

I think I’m going to use the BDBS on my next tank, I’ve heard good stuff about it!

So what dimensions did you cut it to to pop in and hold by itself?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #36
OP
CTYankee79

CTYankee79

Active Member
Member
Messages
154
Reaction score
104
Location
Western CT
Experience
Just started
KribensisLover1 said:
So what dimensions did you cut it to to pop in and hold by itself?
So I believe it was 36” x 14” but don’t remember exactly, the best thing to do is measure in between the black rims. I cut mine a little big and then I had to sand it down to get it to fit. The cut doesn’t have to be perfect because the bottom of the hardboard will be hidden by the substrate...and if it’s cut a little small some clear packing tape will hold it against the rim, and nobody will ever notice ;)

The substrate I’m using is inert and has no benefit to plants either, but I’m using root tabs and liquid fertilizer. If I was growing more difficult plants I would use something such as Aquasoil. I’m new to this as well but learning a lot on here, and having a blast with it ! (and putting a dent in the bank account lol)
Good luck with your tank and keep us posted on it!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
132
Guests online
2,764
Total visitors
2,896

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom