Starting my journey to breed mollies/guppies 55 Gallon Split Tank?

JEGuerra

I bought a 55 gallon tank off marketplace awhile ago and after asking you guys and some other pros I know, I have decided to use it to breed. Originally I was just going to breed mollies in it but after doing some research I want to breed both mollies and guppies. My question is do you think it'd be ok if I used a tank splitter to split the tank in half and breed mollies in one half and guppies in the other?

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

I don't see why it wouldn't work. Give the mollies 2/3rds and the guppies 1/3 or something.

JEGuerra

I bought a 55 gallon off of marketplace a couple weeks ago and have been thinking about what to do with it. After awhile I decided I wanted to split the tank in half and use one side to breed mollies and one side to breed guppies. I do plan to sell to my LFS and online where possible. Do you have any advice for me as this is my first time dedicating a tank specifically for breeding. Any and all advice helps!

Noroomforshoe

There is no reason to separate the guppy fry from the molly fry that I can think of, you need to separate the parents from the fry. and you could separate the tank for that.

CrackerboxPalace

A few tips:

To make the selling worthwhile try to stick to one variation of guppies/mollies to start with. If you want to dabble in crossbreeding there are lots of interesting things you could try, you might end up with more culls or lower priced/less desirable fish. Make sure you introduce new genetics for most generations to reduce defects, and be fairly strict with culling. Healthier fry will survive if you leave them in tank with their parents, so preferably don't use a breeder box.

Yeoy

Lots of plants e.g. guppy grass to give fry places to hide as well as places to eat and for the females to feel safe giving birth. Also guppies and mollies can co-exist together pretty well without a divider, but I think you'd find the mollies likely to eat a lot of the guppy fry as they're much bigger/faster than guppies.

Otherwise the advice above is good. I'd contact your LFS now/early and just let them know. Also don't expect big $$ for these kinds of fish but it's a perfect beginner breeding project.

SouthAmericanCichlids

The guppies and mollies won't stay on their sides of the tank (Especially if you use egg crate), they are BIG jumpers. I have had guppies jump almost 3 inches out of a tank.

Other advice is:

Keep a lot of plants, either live or fake. They need cover.

When feeding, grind up flakes in your hands.

Don't scrape off the algae as livebearers like eating algae.

I would suggest sponge filters as they culture infusoria, if you use a hob (Or other filter with an intake) use a intake sponge.

I would suggest selling online, because if you have a small lfs, they don't want to buy rare expensive fish as most of their customers won't buy them.

I agree with getting a specific strain.

JEGuerra

The guppies and mollies won't stay on their sides of the tank (Especially if you use egg crate), they are BIG jumpers. I have had guppies jump almost 3 inches out of a tank.

Other advice is:

Keep a lot of plants, either live or fake. They need cover.

When feeding, grind up flakes in your hands.

Don't scrape off the algae as livebearers like eating algae.

I would suggest sponge filters as they culture infusoria, if you use a hob (Or other filter with an intake) use a intake sponge.

I would suggest selling online, because if you have a small lfs, they don't want to buy rare expensive fish as most of their customers won't buy them.

I agree with getting a specific strain.
I currently have 1 sponge filter rated for 40 gal and plan to add another one rated for 20 gal, ideally 1 on each side of the divider. As far as that goes, do you think I should even bother with the divider? Yeoy above said the mollies would most likely be eating alot of the guppy fry, I know I should cull but idk if they'd eat too many guppies or anythin like that

SouthAmericanCichlids

I currently have 1 sponge filter rated for 40 gal and plan to add another one rated for 20 gal, ideally 1 on each side of the divider. As far as that goes, do you think I should even bother with the divider? Yeoy above said the mollies would most likely be eating alot of the guppy fry, I know I should cull but idk if they'd eat too many guppies or anythin like that
If you have a whole ton of plants to hide them, then they'd be fine, might eat a few, but not many.

Yeoy

I previously bred Endlers in a 4foot tank that had a bunch of adult mollies in it too. Still got a reasonable amount of Endler fry surviving but it was thickly planted and had floating plants too. You really can't have too many plants. Also depends how many fry you want.

You'll get some small amount survive in almost any scenario. It depends if you want a few dozen a month or a few hundred a month. I'd start with no separation personally and go from there, as they're easy to tell apart you can always separate if you want to up the fry numbers.

JEGuerra

A few tips:

To make the selling worthwhile try to stick to one variation of guppies/mollies to start with. If you want to dabble in crossbreeding there are lots of interesting things you could try, you might end up with more culls or lower priced/less desirable fish. Make sure you introduce new genetics for most generations to reduce defects, and be fairly strict with culling. Healthier fry will survive if you leave them in tank with their parents, so preferably don't use a breeder box.
That genetics part is something I'd like to go into a bit further, I know obviously inbreeding is no bueno, but if say 1 female produced 30 fry, should I try and sell all of them and just start over with new guppies from the store or is a little bit of inbreeding ok?
If you have a whole ton of plants to hide them, then they'd be fine, might eat a few, but not many.
Alright cool, still setting the tank up and letting it cycle so I've got some time to buy up as many plants as I can
I previously bred Endlers in a 4foot tank that had a bunch of adult mollies in it too. Still got a reasonable amount of Endler fry surviving but it was thickly planted and had floating plants too. You really can't have too many plants. Also depends how many fry you want.

You'll get some small amount survive in almost any scenario. It depends if you want a few dozen a month or a few hundred a month. I'd start with no separation personally and go from there, as they're easy to tell apart you can always separate if you want to up the fry numbers.
Ideally, since I'm only 17 and this is my first time really breeding I'd like to start relatively slow, so I suppose I'll just skip the divider for now, on top of that I assume that a breeder box isn't needed either?

SouthAmericanCichlids

That genetics part is something I'd like to go into a bit further, I know obviously inbreeding is no bueno, but if say 1 female produced 30 fry, should I try and sell all of them and just start over with new guppies from the store or is a little bit of inbreeding ok?

Alright cool, still setting the tank up and letting it cycle so I've got some time to buy up as many plants as I can

Ideally, since I'm only 17 and this is my first time really breeding I'd like to start relatively slow, so I suppose I'll just skip the divider for now, on top of that I assume that a breeder box isn't needed either?
You can have a little inbreeding, actually a lot, I barley had any malformed guppies when I had mine, and I only introduced a new guppy every few months.

Also, add on, the malformed ones could have just been all casualties because they couldn't escape. JEGuerra

JEGuerra

You can have a little inbreeding, actually a lot, I barley had any malformed guppies when I had mine, and I only introduced a new guppy every few months.
Alright cool, so another question is say I have a birthing of 40 guppy or molly, how many of those should I try to keep and how many should I try and sell?

SouthAmericanCichlids

Alright cool, so another question is say I have a birthing of 40 guppy or molly, how many of those should I try to keep and how many should I try and sell?
In that size tank, I would say about 20 adults of each and then get rid of the babies on a regular basis. Also, more females than males, you could take out the males and get a 1:3 ratio by doing that.

JEGuerra

In that size tank, I would say about 20 adults of each and then get rid of the babies on a regular basis.
So once my tank is cycled and ready I should get 20 gups and 20 mollies, and then just try and sell every fry they produce?

SouthAmericanCichlids

So once my tank is cycled and ready I should get 20 gups and 20 mollies, and then just try and sell every fry they produce?
Nah, you can start with about 5 of each, once they get to size they breed like crazy, and you can make yourself end up with more females then males this way.

Also, this will be my last post of the day, goodnight.

JEGuerra

Nah, you can start with about 5 of each, ones they get to size they breed like crazy, and you can make yourself end up with more females then males this way.

Also, this will be my last post of the day, goodnight.
5 of each, sounds good, thank you for your help and have yourself a good night!

Also one last question, what should my ideal m/f ratio be? Like for 5 should I get 1m 4f or 2m 3f

Coradee

Hi I don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet but before you start breeding have you spoken to your Lfs about selling to them?
Mollies & guppies are prolific breeders & many Lfs won’t take fry from private breeders as they can buy them so cheaply from their suppliers.
If you can’t guarantee an outlet for them you could end up with lots of fish you can’t move on

JEGuerra

Hi I don’t think anyone has mentioned this yet but before you start breeding have you spoken to your Lfs about selling to them?
Mollies & guppies are prolific breeders & many Lfs won’t take fry from private breeders as they can buy them so cheaply from their suppliers.
If you can’t guarantee an outlet for them you could end up with lots of fish you can’t move on
I do plan to make some calls to my lfs's but I was planning to do most of my selling online anyways if possible

FishPlanet

Also, add on, the malformed ones could have just been all casualties because they couldn't escape. JEGuerra

We bred inbred guppies and EVERY SINGLE ONE DIED.

NearMeBettas

You could even start your own business website. I have a Wix sight. Pretty easy to set up and free.

JEGuerra

You could even start your own business website. I have a Wix sight. Pretty easy to set up and free.
That is actually exactly what I did last night after my last message on here. wix seemed like a pretty decent option, only bummer is that I have to upgrade to premium in order to attach my own custom domain, so no custom domain for me lol

SouthAmericanCichlids

We bred inbred guppies and EVERY SINGLE ONE DIED.
Did you breed inbred guppies, or did you inbreed your guppies?

I personally have had succes with only reintroducing guppies once every other month. But, you probably would get the best quality by doing it more often, and as you will be selling often you'll have the money to get more.

FishPlanet

Did you breed inbred guppies, or did you inbreed your guppies?

I personally have had succes with only reintroducing guppies once every other month. But, you probably would get the best quality by doing it more often, and as you will be selling often you'll have the money to get more.

Our friends bought guppies and bred them and bred brothers and sisters together, etc.

JEGuerra

Also one thing I have to ask is, where do I even sell online? I made a website but I figure I have to spread the word about it online, and if I get no traffic to the site, are there any other alternatives to get rid of fry in the case I can't get sell them in time on my site

CrackerboxPalace

Also one thing I have to ask is, where do I even sell online? I made a website but I figure I have to spread the word about it online, and if I get no traffic to the site, are there any other alternatives to get rid of fry in the case I can't get sell them in time on my site
you can put ads up on craigslist, gumtree, etc. and maybe try to redirect people to your site from there.

SouthAmericanCichlids

To do that, you either have to become a forum sponsor, don't leave a link and sell through FL, or have a discount code for fishlorians. Though I don't know if you can do that on wix.

LowConductivity

Aquabid, Band, eBay

CrackerboxPalace

To do that, you either have to become a forum sponsor, don't leave a link and sell through FL, or have a discount code for fishlorians. Though I don't know if you can do that on wix.
Oh no I meant independent of Fishlore. Since it's against the rules.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Oh no I meant independent of Fishlore. Since it's against the rules.
But I think you can pay Google to put up ads for you, I think anyone can, you just have to create a business account (not a selling thing, just a Gmail meant for business).

Yeoy

I wouldn't be paying for ads at this point if you're just home-breeding guppies. Try local Facebook, Gumtree, Craigslist etc... depending on your area. Also most online sellers ship fish so if you're just selling local, keep it simple. Don't over-do it or over-invest.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Though it's probably going to be necessary to go ship to sell all your fry.

NearMeBettas

so no custom domain for me lol
Same here lol!
Facebook and Craigslist have been super strict recently. I can't keep a post up on there. Possibly Aquabid or some of the other sights listed by members.

JEGuerra

Also one last question (for now lol) what strains of guppy / molly do you suggest I start with? I am gonna take the advice of sticking to one strain for the time being and doing mutts later down the road, but what strains should I start with?

CrackerboxPalace

Various dumbo guppies are a good choice, both eye catching and readily available.

Yeoy

Also as a work-around the Facebook groups where I am say "Hey guys, I have 20 of this X strain of guppy - ''looking to rehome'' or ''looking for a vacation'' - don't mention price or $$ on the actual ad. ''Message me for more info''. Not perfect but it works.

SouthAmericanCichlids

Also one last question (for now lol) what strains of guppy / molly do you suggest I start with? I am gonna take the advice of sticking to one strain for the time being and doing mutts later down the road, but what strains should I start with?
Any fancy ones, here is a link to a site which sells fancy guppies:

All Guppies For Sale
Also as a work-around the Facebook groups where I am say "Hey guys, I have 20 of this X strain of guppy - ''looking to rehome'' or ''looking for a vacation'' - don't mention price or $$ on the actual ad. ''Message me for more info''. Not perfect but it works.
Does facebook marketplace not let you sell anymore?

Yeoy

Any fancy ones, here is a link to a site which sells fancy guppies:

All Guppies For Sale

Does facebook marketplace not let you sell anymore?
Not sure if it's everywhere but I know specifically in Australia about a year or so ago they made a change so that you couldn't sell live animals on Facebook. It auto-detects the posts, people even get posts taken down for live cultures like microworms. Not sure if it's universal or not.

dojafish

You absolutely can separate them as such. I would recommend putting in a lot of floating plants like guppy grass so that the fry have a place to retreat to and survive from potential cannibalism. I also like the idea of separating out the fry, then you can raise them in a more controlled setting with less potential of loss due to cannibalism. I personally try to do both for my guppies if I have some free tubs, otherwise the coverage works well enough to produce a good amount of fry growing up.

JEGuerra

You absolutely can separate them as such. I would recommend putting in a lot of floating plants like guppy grass so that the fry have a place to retreat to and survive from potential cannibalism. I also like the idea of separating out the fry, then you can raise them in a more controlled setting with less potential of loss due to cannibalism. I personally try to do both for my guppies if I have some free tubs, otherwise the coverage works well enough to produce a good amount of fry growing up.
Also, where do you buy your guppy grass? Both of my LFS's don't sell it and Im pretty sure petsmart nor petco sells it either

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Yeoy
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
Replies
Views
JEGuerra
Replies
Views