10 Gallon Tank Starting My First Saltwater

emersongalicia
I decided to make the jump over the the darkside...SALTWATER! Quick backstory I’ve been in the hobby for 2 years now and I started with a 38 gallon freshwater, kept angel fish, mollies and guoramis. Started a 75 gallon and kept a flowerhorn for the last year and a half, he recently died due to hole in the head . I feel like it’s time to leave behind the freshwater and get my feet wet with saltwater. I started off small with something all-in-one, the Fluval Evo 13.5, running with a protein skimmer, and a Fluval Sea wavemaker. I’ve added live and rock to start the cycle, and a small dose of love bacteria (I believe the name was quick start). The tank has been cycling for 2 weeks now, I am planning on letting it run for another two before I check the parameters and consider adding live stock. Plans are maybe two clown fish and a clean up crew, I know nothing about coral (hard/soft) but I know I would need to upgrade my lighting once I make that decision. Anyways that was my rant and here’s a picture of the progress. All tips and tricks are welcome and much appreciated.
IMG_4614.JPG

grantm91
Nice little tank, good choice for a first sw setup . A couple of clowns will be ok in there and just enjoy them whilst researching corals and lighting options, there may be some stuff you could try under that light but I’m not 100% sure. That live rock chunk would have the cycle a massive kickstart if its mature and from a system with fish in.

Jesterrace
The problem with cheap lighting is that it's really hit and miss with what grows under it (hence the strong recommendation for the upgrade). You need to plan on spending a fair bit on a light to get good consistent coral growth. The cheapest light I can recommend is a Mars Aqua or Viparspectra 165 watt "Chinese Black Box" lights which start at $109 and go up from there. If you aren't using RODI water then I suggest switching pretty soon. Tapwater is often problematic in a saltwater tank for fish and very often for corals and can cause out of control algae issues.

emersongalicia
Jesterrace said:
The problem with cheap lighting is that it's really hit and miss with what grows under it (hence the strong recommendation for the upgrade). You need to plan on spending a fair bit on a light to get good consistent coral growth. The cheapest light I can recommend is a Mars Aqua or Viparspectra 165 watt "Chinese Black Box" lights which start at $109 and go up from there. If you aren't using RODI water then I suggest switching pretty soon. Tapwater is often problematic in a saltwater tank for fish and very often for corals and can cause out of control algae issues.
I was looking at the Kessil Tuna w/ controller once I do upgrade. Also just went to my LFS for RODI water

Jesterrace
emersongalicia said:
I was looking at the Kessil Tuna w/ controller once I do upgrade. Also just went to my LFS for RODI water
I would skip the Kessil and just go to an AI Prime HD. By the time you add in the cost of the controller the AI is actually cheaper and a much better light (Tuna Blue is 15 watts and the AI Prime HD is 55 watts). The AI Prime HD is fully programmable out of the box:

Latest threads

Top Bottom