Starting my 55 gallon stand build.

Sleepyflea

So im looking to build a 55 gallon stand. I have everything i need besides a small power saw and some 2x4.

A few Questions:
- What is the recommended length and width?
- Should i use nails or screws to hold the boards together?
- What material should i cover the outside with?

Chanyi

Length x Width 1/8" larger than the bottom of the tank (if there is no trim) or 1/8" larger than the black plastic trim on the bottom. This will allow a tiny bit of wiggle room, and ensure the entire bottom is supported.

I would glue and screw it together, nails will work as well. Try and have all of the load being transferred through wood directly to the floor - do not rely on the shear strength of nails / screws to transfer the load.

I would cover the stand with MDF board, 1/2" and paint to whatever colour you like. You could do the same with plywood and stain it or paint it or dye it, you could use wood paneling, flooring, tons of ways to skin a 2x4 stand.

Sleepyflea

Length x Width 1/8" larger than the bottom of the tank (if there is no trim) or 1/8" larger than the black plastic trim on the bottom. This will allow a tiny bit of wiggle room, and ensure the entire bottom is supported.

I would glue and screw it together, nails will work as well. Try and have all of the load being transferred through wood directly to the floor - do not rely on the shear strength of nails / screws to transfer the load.

I would cover the stand with MDF board, 1/2" and paint to whatever colour you like. You could do the same with plywood and stain it or paint it or dye it, you could use wood paneling, flooring, tons of ways to skin a 2x4 stand.
Good ideas! I might be running up to the hardware store soon and heading by my fathers to borrow his saw so i can get this started this week. This stand will need to support about 500lbs, so is there any precautions i should take? Or is making a frame and then adding supports to the bottom and top fine?

Chanyi

Good ideas! I might be running up to the hardware store soon and heading by my fathers to borrow his saw so i can get this started this week. This stand will need to support about 500lbs, so is there any precautions i should take? Or is making a frame and then adding supports to the bottom and top fine?

You want to ensure the load is being supported by wood, through wood, from the top all the way to the bottom.

Here is a good example (it's overkill but better to build extra strong than not strong enough):

1605821034758.png

Sleepyflea

You want to ensure the load is being supported by wood, through wood, from the top all the way to the bottom.

Here is a good example (it's overkill but better to build extra strong than not strong enough):
That was the general idea i had and then i was going to add more slats in the middle on the top and bottom for extra support just to be safe. I want to add doors, so i may need to add more wood in the front also.

Sb092

So im looking to build a 55 gallon stand. I have everything i need besides a small power saw and some 2x4.

A few Questions:
- What is the recommended length and width?
- Should i use nails or screws to hold the boards together?
- What material should i cover the outside with?
I found this link exceptionally helpful and should answer all your questions Build Your Own Aquarium Stand

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Joshaeus
Replies
Views
Sb092
Replies
Views
waterpat
Replies
Views