Starting Fishless Cycle in New Tank

Kiwi4345

Reaction score
Hello,

I’m new to the cycling process and wanted to complete a fishless cycle in a 10 gallon tank. It has been a week and there is maybe a slight reading <0.05 ppm of ammonia, although it is hard to really tell (I am using the Seachem Ammonia Alert). The water is cloudy white and there is some white fuzz around some decorations. I read this may be a bacteria bloom in the water column? I also do not detect nitrite or nitrate.

I’m wondering if I am doing anything wrong or if this is just part of the process. I also am unsure if I should do anything about the cloudiness of the water at this point or just wait until the cycle is over.

I’m keeping the water at 80 degrees and have the lights on for only a part of the day (I have live plants). I’m using a bit of fish food for a source of ammonia.
Thanks for any help/advice

gregoranddexter1816

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
you should keep ammonia above 1ppm. Nitrite will come at about 3 weeks for me at least. I bought Fritz Ammonia (its a powder) to dose my aquarium I thought it works well. I tried using food and it slowed the cycled almost to a halt. Honestly with cycling its just waiting. As long as there is food it will decompose.

OP
K

Kiwi4345

Reaction score
gregoranddexter1816 said:
you should keep ammonia above 1ppm. Nitrite will come at about 3 weeks for me at least. I bought Fritz Ammonia (its a powder) to dose my aquarium I thought it works well. I tried using food and it slowed the cycled almost to a halt. Honestly with cycling its just waiting. As long as there is food it will decompose.
okay, I will look into that to add more ammonia. Thanks!

New Threads