Starting fishless cycle but a problem

Bsud

Reaction score
Ok so I started up my tank. I used prime per instructions to dechlorinate tap water. Now I checked tap water ammonia it reads .50 ok before adding the dr Tim's ammonia I checked tank just to see what I'm starting with. The funny part is here where it reads 2.0 and I've not added any ammonia. Is that a problem? Now I did go ahead and added 4 drops of Dr Tim's ammonia to bump up the ppm to around 3.0 my thing is why would I read higher in tank than tap without adding any additional ammonia? It is a 10G tank

uncclewis

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
My guess is that some of the tap water that you put in before had a higher ammonia level in it than what you were putting in then- it can vary a bit based upon your suppliers. They usually keep those values within particular limits / ranges.

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
Ok I'm gonna wait till tomorrow and test, with it being already 2ppm and me adding the four drops of Dr Tim's ammonia chloride I should be close to 3ppm. Then I will just check it every couple days to see the drop.

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Does your tap water have chlorine or chloramine? Prime breaks down chloramine into chlorine and ammonia.

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
That I don't know. How would I find out?

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Not sure. Water authority website maybe?

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
Well if it was higher than what I tested straight out of tap, it is a very high chance the prime raised it. As long as I do not go above 5ppm ammonia I'm ok correct? Then I need to just test and wait for my drop in ammonia and rise in nitrite?

I just checked my ammonia level today and it is sitting on 2 ppm. That is from whatever caused the ammonia which I'm assuming came from me dosing the prime. The 4 drops of Dr Tim's ammonia chloride must have not raised it any more. So since it is sitting at 2ppm I should be good with early stage of my cycle and just sit back and wait and test every couple days correct?

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. Test as much as you like, the more you test, the more you'll learn, and know exactly where the cycle is at. Too many people don't test, then when they have a problem they don't know what stage they're at....

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
Ok now I am a bit confused. I tested today and my ammonia is up to around 4ppm and I haven't done anything since 1st day. So I shouldn't be seeing a rise in ammonia without adding anything else should I?

BsudJoined:Sun May 15, 2016 11:28 amLocation:SC

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
uncclewis said:
Did you do a WC?
No I haven't done anything since I started my cycle. I had 2ppm last two days of testing, today it was up to 4ppm

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
uncclewis said:
My guess is test kit inaccuate. Try again?
Just tested again. Here is my results, its hard to tell I may be right around 3ppm. Its no more than 4ppm, but just unsure why it went from being 2ppm for first two days now it's reading higher

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
Bsud said:
Just tested again. Here is my results, its hard to tell I may be right around 3ppm. Its no more than 4ppm, but just unsure why it went from being 2ppm for first two days now it's reading higher

uncclewis

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Well perhaps it's just better distributed in the water now.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, Prime won't give you an ammonia reading. When you see a little ammonia in your tap water it shows your water authority is using chloramines. When you use prime it breaks the bonds of it and you're left with ammonia and chlorine. Then when you test you see the full amount of the ammonia.

uncclewis

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh. CindI is definitely right. The ammonia comes from tap, I thought you knew that. That's why I asked if you changed the water again? But when I read over it I realized you didn't know that after her response. I said may be the ammonia was now distributed better bc you didn't have good circulation... That's why it went from 2-4. But bc my water supplier was able to measure values of my cholarmine. Eg. , 2.9. I realized the API test kit is only valid within like 1 ppm of the higher amounts. The colors when in between are hard to differentiate without a true meter.

OP
B

Bsud

Reaction score
Ok its been ten days and I've still got around 4ppm ammonia. I did test the PH today and it's around 6.6 also test for nitrites which was 0ppm. Am I still good or is something wrong?

New Threads