Starting fishless cycle after work

1. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Good morning fish lovers
    After work I'm planning to start my fishless cycle. I've placed about 70% of water in my tank n left it for 24hrs to see if any leaks would occur.
    I just wanted to know things I need to purchase at my lfs to get started. I Just wanted to get a few ideas
    Thanks in advice

2. qchris87 Well Known Member Member

3. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Thanks . I have that one. which comes with 4 tubes.
    I'll try my local hardware store to see if I get pure amonia

What else you Suggest. I want to do this right

The first thing I'll do is test my tap water

4. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Ladies and gentlemen can Ull please help a brother out.
    (I don't mean to bother anyone)

5. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

Suggested purchase Prime and Master Test Kit.

6. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Thanks .. I have the API master test kit already. I'll check my lfs for prime

7. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

You will cycle faster with a bacterial additive like Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability. Let us know how you're going, your exact water parameters of your tap and we can go from there :)

8. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Thanks for replying ☺
    [​IMG]
    PH looks like 7.2
    [​IMG]
    Ammonia seem to be 0
    [​IMG]
    Nitrite seem to Oppm
    [​IMG]
    Nitrite is 0ppm
    I tested my tape water to see if anything would be ok
    Currently I have my filter running. I hooked it up this afternoon.

9. Dragones5150918 Well Known Member Member

On the nitrate test, did you beat up that second bottle? I pound mine on my hand to break up the crystalization at the bottom. Some people pound it on a desk. I only ask because I've seen and read people not doing it and getting faults 0 readings. Also did you shake the test tube the full minute? Again for the same reason. I always ask this when I see a 0 reading in nitrate.

10. Ilovefish3s Member Member

I pound mines on my. Not too hard tho. I'll pound it after work.
    And I shook it for about 30 seconds.
    I'll test it again when I get home
    Should the yellow be darker?

11. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Thanks for posting those. No, you don't want it higher, just want to make sure you do it right. Your tap water actually looks great as far as those toxins go. You are lucky. Your ph is hard to read, will you do the high range ph test also?

What temperature are you keeping the tank at? Do you know what fish you will be adding? Do you know your GH or KH (general hardness and carbonate hardness) of your water?

The only thing I personally would change to the ammonia instructions for a fishless cycle, most especially if you are using Tetra Safe Start Plus or Seachem Stability is to dose ammonia only to 1.0-2.0 to start out with, not the 4.0 often recommended. The reasons for this are because 1) the bacteria you are adding in from the bottle, though they need ammonia to live and multiply, too much ammonia will kill them off and inhibit their growth. 2) While fishless cycling you want to keep nitrites at 5.0 or below generally and nitrates below 100. If you dose ammonia to 4.0 which would be like fully stocking a large tank btw, your nitrosomonas (ammonia converting bacteria) will multiply more rapidly then your nitrospira (nitrite converting bacteria) and you'll go over 5.0 nitrites rapidly and have to do constant water changes.

So I would dose ammonia 1.0-2.0, pour in a bottle of TSS+ or Stability and then wait for ammonia to drop to 0 and nitrites to start rising Test daily. You may see some nitrates as well and that would be normal. Depending on where your nitrites are when ammonia hits 0, then you'll dose again or give it another 24 hours.

If you want to post your results here daily we can keep our eye on it and help you out.

12. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Thanks very much for your help so far cindil. N thanks. I was hopin my tape water is ok. I'm glad to hear it is.
    Yes I will do the High range test when I get home
    Tbh I don't have a heater yet because I figure since its summer in NYC I would be ok until the tank has finish cycle? If I need one for a fact I'll buy it today.
    So far I plan to get a pair of angels.
    Nope. I have no idea what my GH and Kh is.
    Sorry for be late reply. I'm currently at work. But I will defiantly follow your directions and I will keep everyone updated

My problem yesterday were I couldn't find ammonia in my hardware store? And can I order the tss online

After I find the ammonia and dose 1.0 or 2.0. How long do I have to wait to put the TSS BOTTLE IN AND HOW LONG SHOULD I WAIT TO TEST IT

13. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I'd get the heater because It will cycle faster at 80 then mid 70's and your angels will need higher temperatures also, low 80's I believe. I like the aqueon heaters personally. Make sure you get one that has a dial and not a pre-set heater. Also, get a thermometer, the digital ones are nice because sometimes the heater dials are not calibrated very well (on any of the brands).

I think ace hardware is known to carry the type of ammonia you need. The only ingredients should be ammonia and water, it should not foam when shaken. If you can't find any, you can always order Dr. Tims ammonium chloride through amazon. You can also order TSS+ online or Dr. Tim's One and Only. Petsmart for sure carries TSS+, not sure about other big box stores.

What water conditioner are you using? I am assuming you put it in 72 hours ago when you started the tank? If so then as soon as you add in the ammonia you also add in the TSS+ at the same time. I'd give it 48 hours and then start testing daily for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. Normally with fish in cycling you don't test with TSS+ but you'll need to test to know when you should add more ammonia. The bacteria in TSS+ comes bottled in an ammonium type solution to feed the bacteria while in the bottle. This will increase your ammonia readings some initially but nothing to worry about.

14. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Thanks a lot. I'm omw home from work. I'll stop and pick up the heater and TSS+ from petsmart.
    I think it's a aqueon water conditioner. I'll double check.

I just checked my local hardware store and the ammonia they were selling were clear ammonia. I didn't get it because it form when I shook it
    Currently on way to the petsmart

15. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Good afternoon CindiL. I hope your day is going good. Quick question. Have you ever accomplish a fish IN CYCLE?

16. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

Hi, yes. I can help you with that if you want to go that route? Did you pick up the TSS+?

Angels are very sensitive fish so I wouldn't cycle with them. Was there a small school of fish you were thinking of putting with them? They are semi-aggressive fish so I'd start a thread in stocking and see what people think of with your tank size and two angels. What type of fish would be compatible.

17. Ilovefish3s Member Member

Yes for some reason I think that would be ok too. I'll have to pick up couple of fishes at the pet store to cycle with. Like danios maybe
    Yes I picked up the TSS+ and A 100W heater.
    I like barbs.
    And ok I'll do that again

18. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I'd go with 4 danios to start with if those are alright to stock with. What answers did you originally get?

You add in the TSS+ at the same time as the fish, that simple. Do nothing for two weeks. Test after two weeks and is ammonia is -, nitrites are 0, nitrates are greater than 0 then you can very slowly add fish, a couple a week. This gives the biofilter time to catch up with the new ammonia load.

19. Ilovefish3s Member Member

O yea. That doesn't sound bad. but is danios a good fishes to cycle with
    *do I add the whole bottle of TSS+
    *must the temperature be 80 degrees

20. CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I would put the temperature down to 76. Yes add in the whole bottle of TSS+ as soon as you add the fish. The danios should be fine and as long as you only buy 4 for the 30g tank should stay fine through the cycle with TSS+.