Starting first Marine tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by snelson, Sep 16, 2013.

1. snelson

snelsonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    Hey everyone,

I have been reading a lot on this forum as well as a few others about starting my first marine tank. I have been doing fresh water and I love the hobby and have always wanted a marine tank but just never got around to it. So tomorrow I am going to look at a tank that I am going to use it is a 40 gallon drilled and it comes with a homemade stand that houses a 30g for a sump so I think it will work out perfect for what I want. I would love to have a larger set up but I am kind of strapped for space and the wife don't really like the idea of another tank but I talked her into it, but I am excited to get going with this project and will be deciding more on what equipment I want to get. I know I want to do a minimalist look inside the tank build up a few nice hiding spots but don't to crowd the tank with rock I figure I can add more rock to the sump if need be since it will be almost the same size as the tank itself. I will start a build thread once I get the project under way.

2. ryanr

ryanrModeratorModerator Member

Ratings:
    +1,146
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Sounds great....

Don't forget:

smiley-camera.

3. Dondomingo

DondomingoWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +23
    Experience:
    4 years
    Well I certainly will live my saltwater tank dreams through you, as Ryanr mentioned pictures pictures pictures lol.

4. OP
    OP
    snelson

snelsonValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1
    Experience:
    Just started
    I am excited to start I have researching for a while now and the last week I have been doing more serious research on how I actually want to set up and what has and hasn't worked for others. I would love to have room for a bigger tank but I will make due with what I can have space for and afford as of right now. Tonight I am going to do a lot of equipment research and figure out what I want to get for lighting a skimmer and the odds and ends stuff.

5. Mer-max

Mer-maxWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +5
    Experience:
    2 years
    Hate to say it but I would join 3reef or casual reef. Other than Ryan and a few others its hard to get help or opinions on SW stuff here