Starting Cycle On A Smaller Volume And Moving It

Status
Not open for further replies.

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
My heater recently exploded and I believe my water is beyond recovery (although Im trying to at least keep the cycle I started going using some tips from my LFS).

I was wondering if I could start my cycle using my sump only so I dont have to replace that much water and then fill up the display once I have the salt for it. Would that work? Would it ruin my cycle?

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The issue is a question of your live rock and how long it is in there. I would say that unless your rock can all be cycled in your sump and left alone for 30-60 days then I would say no. You really need IMHO at least 60 days establishment before you attempt to transfer to keep the established bacteria from simply all dying off again.

OP
BRDrew

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The issue is a question of your live rock and how long it is in there. I would say that unless your rock can all be cycled in your sump and left alone for 30-60 days then I would say no. You really need IMHO at least 60 days establishment before you attempt to transfer to keep the established bacteria from simply all dying off again.
The live rock can all fit in the sump and I could leave it cycling for the 30 days. What I thought I could do is have it all cycling in the sump and when I have the displ,ay ready Ill just reconect the system. The total volume would go up and after a couple of days/weeks of adaptation I would just transfer the rock to the same system, just to a different place.

OP
BRDrew

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That could work as long as you maintain the following in the sump:

1) Live rock cycling completely submerged in saltwater
2) Tank heater
3) Powerhead/wavemaker
4) A source of ammonia/bacteria

I do have all that. As far as source for ammonia, I got a bacteria and "bacteria food" vial from my LFS. The live rock is a little small for the tank but I got some marine pure for surface area. And believe it or not the water will stay at the right temperature without a heater here in Brazil.

OP
BRDrew

BRDrew

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Thanks for the help. Ill probably do this for the following weeks. Ill make a post with the set up once everything is completed and working.

Jesterrace

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I do have all that. As far as source for ammonia, I got a bacteria and "bacteria food" vial from my LFS. The live rock is a little small for the tank but I got some marine pure for surface area. And believe it or not the water will stay at the right temperature without a heater here in Brazil.
Oh I would believe it. I live in a seasonal climate but when the summer heat hits, my tank heater doesn't turn on for months (as it shouldn't) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom