Starting aquarium number 3

1. Txfishguy Initiate Member

I have a well established 60 gallon tank with 2 penguin 350s it doing very well and is almost a year old.

I got a great deal on a used setup it's a tall 20 gallon with marineland c - 220 canister. I'm Trying to see how fast I can cycle it. I did a water change on my 60 and put the water I took out into the 20 and topped it of with tap water (I have well water that comes out of the tap with perfect numbers) I cleaned the c-220 and put new foam in it. Added an air stone and turned the heater up to almost 90. Then I cleaned all 4 filters from the 60 in the the 20 gallon tank.

We'll see how long it takes to get stable.

Any opinions?

2. Graphix Well Known Member Member

Run the new canister filter on your established tank, while at the same time taking one of your penguin 350s and running it on the new tank, old water is not a necessity as most of the bacteria you need resides in the filter media.

The old filter on the new tank will cycle it very quickly, some would say instantly, but if you want to be safe maybe wait a few days/weeks with the penguin filter on the new tank.

Your new canister filter will be building bacteria while running on the 60 gallon tank, so leave it there for around a month(not sure how long exactly) before switching it back to the 20 gallon, and returning the penguin filter to your 60.

At least that's how I'd do it, far easier to cycle using established media than restartign a cycle, and that's made easy since you already have some.

3. Txfishguy Initiate Member

I thought about that, too. I Ran a single penguin 350 on the 60 for the For the first few months and it worked well until my tank was more stocked then I added another. It's been crystal clear and great. The cannister is suckin a little air somwhere and spitting bubbles and it's kinda annoying, so I might just put one of the penguins on the 20 and get another new 350 for the 60. And sell the cannister.

I haven't decided how I want to set up the 20 or what I wanna stock it with. I know I'm using sand for substrate and I want a natural driftwood/planted tank.

Thinkin about heavily planted with bright small stock but the girlfriend wants pea puffers

4. Graphix Well Known Member Member

My canister did the same thing, I believe it's because there was air in the filter left over from when you set it up. It stopped spitting air after awhile and now it's completely silent. I would recommend you keep it, but it's up to you.

5. Txfishguy Initiate Member

Cool, thanks. I'll give it some time, I need to find a cabinet to put the 20 gallon tank on. Hopefully when it's inside an enclosure it'll be less noticeable