Starting an additional tank just for fry... Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gunzer

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I am thinking about starting a new 10gal tank for my Guppy fry. In my established tank, I have filter media that I can spare for this new tank's filter.

I am under the impression that if I run a new filter with new, uncycled tank water, with this good "seeded" filter media, the good bacterial will not survive long unless there is waste in the new water for the bacteria to consume.

How can I start up a new tank for fry without starving the good bacteria in my used filter media? Would the new fry produce enough waste to sustain my desirable bacteria? Should I use a botte of Tetra Safe Start with the introduction of the fry?

Thanks,

Gunzer

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
depends on how many fry. I would put them in there for a day and then put the used media in the next day, so that some waste can already be present. If the fry are all you are going to have in the tank then the bacteria levels will eventually adjust to the amount of waste being produced, even if it is a super low bioload.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Congrats on the fry.

A link on Seeding new tanks below:
PLEASE remember............

I recommend adding the seeded media into your filter and placing it on the tank. Add the fry immediately. Keep an eye on your ammonia levels. Just because you seed the tank doesn't always mean an instant cycle. It depends on how much media you transfer and your stock load. However, should it not be instant it will surely cut down the time the tank takes to cycle. Be prepared for water changes just in case.

Too, you can add some substrate from the main tank into a mesh bag or NEVER seen soap, new nylon stocking. Leave it in your tank for at least two weeks. Anything porous, ornaments like terracotta pots, lava rock will house good bacteria too. Don't remove so much media, substrate and ornaments that it throws your main tank into a mini cycle. Use your best judgment.

Best of luck!
Ken

angeliccreature

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am thinking about starting a new 10gal tank for my Guppy fry. In my established tank, I have filter media that I can spare for this new tank's filter.

I am under the impression that if I run a new filter with new, uncycled tank water, with this good "seeded" filter media, the good bacterial will not survive long unless there is waste in the new water for the bacteria to consume.

How can I start up a new tank for fry without starving the good bacteria in my used filter media? Would the new fry produce enough waste to sustain my desirable bacteria? Should I use a botte of Tetra Safe Start with the introduction of the fry?

Thanks,

Gunzer
i started up a 10 gallon and put my platy fry in it and their doing great

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm a newbie so take what I say with a grain of salt (just don't put it in your tank! ). I just set up a 5g shrimp and random fry tank. I moved my 5 fry two days ago, added TSS yesterday morning and added the shrimp yesterday afternoon. Since overfeeding leads to ammonia, I'm overfeeding just a smidge to help since the fry and shrimp are like 1/4" long and probably not making a lot of ammonia. In my mind, the theory sounds good, but I guess we'll see if it really works.

-Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 62 65.3%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.7%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.9%

Top Bottom