Starting An Above Ground Pond

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Well! I got permission to build this pond a while ago with the one restriction that it needs to be raised, I thought this was because my dad didn't want the grass messed up but it's actually due to wires and pipes. I may be able to dig into the ground slightly (and will if things map out so it's possible) but I'll worry about that later.

My dad wants me to start now cuz he wants more fish buddies for my goldfish. He wanted koi but I explained to him why we can't do that and thankfully he understands the needs of the fish need to be put first and we don't have the room for it. Hes being extremely understanding of everything despite knowing nothing about fish.

So the plan is to use a 300 gallon stock tank and build 1-2 waterfalls off of it. I have a couple design ideas in mind that I need to draw up and show him. But I'm not 100% sure how to best make the waterfall from them. And therefore not entirely sure if they'd work lol

I saw something using smaller stock tanks where they cut a hole and put a cut dustpan in it, which looks like a good idea but are there better ways to do it?

The 300 Gallon part will be for goldfish while the waterfall sections will be a summer home for whatever Platies, swordtails, or guppies I'm raising. So I need to find stock tanks that would work for that and I'm not too sure about sizes yet.

We agreed on using stone around it and I'm going to be building my garden off of it as well. Which will mostly be herbs/edibles and possibly a few flowers since my dad loves flowers.

He has expressed interest in having plants in the water so I'm thinking of having some potted plants that are raised up at various heights. But no clue what type of plants.

I feel like I should of started this sooner but we only just sat down to talk over details and placement and what we can and can't do. We've settled on a fountain filter though he wants the focus to be the waterfalls.

I'm still looking around for the best place to get all my supplies at and figuring out exactly what supplies I need.
 

Goldiemom

Well Known Member
Messages
3,024
Reaction score
2,049
Points
158
Experience
More than 10 years
You can purchase the plastic water spills at Lowe's if the dustpan doesn't work. You can also just stack your rocks and allow the air pump hose to hide between the rocks and flow down. Depends on how much flow you want. How are you going to seperate the other fish from the goldfish?
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Messages
2,026
Reaction score
2,076
Points
298
Experience
2 years
I am following this thread with great interest!! I too just started an above ground 300 gallon pond made with a stock tank also!!! So I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your ideas!! Mine is very basic.. just a tub with a fountain and filter and a bunch of plants and a few rock caves!!! Can't wait to see your ideas!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #4

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Goldiemom said:
You can purchase the plastic water spills at Lowe's if the dustpan doesn't work. You can also just stack your rocks and allow the air pump hose to hide between the rocks and flow down. Depends on how much flow you want. How are you going to seperate the other fish from the goldfish?
Oooo okay thank you. I wish I could test this out with my tanks to learn the differences

Well it depends on which design he chooses but the one I'm hoping for is where the 300 will spill into a smaller one and that into another one (and I'll hopefully have that go into a thin rectangle bit with holes to water the plants when it over flows). So I'm hoping the fish would be too big to get sucked into the smaller ponds and the ones that do are fry and can stay there till theyre bigger and can go with the rest.

I know its kind of a backwards design but I think it would be cool

Otherwise I might try to use a mesh thing to help prevent them from being sucked down the waterfall in with the goldfish.

Not entirely sure how to make it work but I'll do my best to figure it out. And if it doesn't work they'll just be used for raising plants.

Smalltownfishfriend said:
I am following this thread with great interest!! I too just started an above ground 300 gallon pond made with a stock tank also!!! So I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your ideas!! Mine is very basic.. just a tub with a fountain and filter and a bunch of plants and a few rock caves!!! Can't wait to see your ideas!!
Ooo thats awesome, I want to see! I'll doodle the design ideas after I finish my pizza and show you guys.

I think simple is really nice but I always tend to take on more than I can handle lol. But thankfully my dad will be helping me with this project
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
75g Discus Tank said:
What will you do for the winter?

You will need a backup plan.
I have a tank inside for the non goldfish but I do not have room inside for a big tank for goldfish (which is the reason why I'm making the pond). We're going to be getting a heater and heating it during the winter. I don't really have a good backup plan if that doesn't work out.
 

Smalltownfishfriend

Well Known Member
Messages
2,026
Reaction score
2,076
Points
298
Experience
2 years
luckdown said:
Oooo okay thank you. I wish I could test this out with my tanks to learn the differences

Well it depends on which design he chooses but the one I'm hoping for is where the 300 will spill into a smaller one and that into another one (and I'll hopefully have that go into a thin rectangle bit with holes to water the plants when it over flows). So I'm hoping the fish would be too big to get sucked into the smaller ponds and the ones that do are fry and can stay there till theyre bigger and can go with the rest.

I know its kind of a backwards design but I think it would be cool

Otherwise I might try to use a mesh thing to help prevent them from being sucked down the waterfall in with the goldfish.

Not entirely sure how to make it work but I'll do my best to figure it out. And if it doesn't work they'll just be used for raising plants.



Ooo thats awesome, I want to see! I'll doodle the design ideas after I finish my pizza and show you guys.

I think simple is really nice but I always tend to take on more than I can handle lol. But thankfully my dad will be helping me with this project
I will post a pic at some point for you!!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Gonna have to go check dimensions and stuff tomorrow to check to see which designs will actually work with what containers but I got my ideas down. Some I may be able to do just using the stones and pond liner without more tanks.

But need to work out details before I can present him with anything.

Why am I limited by space xP
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Forgot to update! Whoops!!

So I got the stock tank 8D and now we need to get dirt to level everything out. I think the plans are gonna change a bit cuz everyone wants the pond plus the pot i've been using temporarily and they want the pot to get upgraded. Which probably works out better?

My dad made really grumpy noises when we went to put the tank in it's home and I was like.. nooo... It's going in the front! I think he forgot he agreed to it but we put it where I wanted and he's happy. We did joke how the best place for it was right in the middle of the driveway lol not gonna lie it almost went there cuz we both got lazy xD

But yeah! Next step is to get this level. Get sand for the bottom, and get the filter. Then once that's in place it'll be time to fill it up.

I'm also looking into air stones cuz I just learned how much better fish do with them (love the change in my tanks) so lolol this project just keeps getting more and more expensive. But it'll be worth it!

I think my dad has decided he wants to use brick instead of what I wanted, which is fine with me.

More updates whenever I get around to doing more. I'm kinda limited with this since he's only around one day a week basically xP and I don't have the means to go out and buy the supplies myself to do it without him. well I mean I probably could but it'd cost more cuz of my limitations.
 

Attachments

  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #13

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Smalltownfishfriend said:
That is the literal exactly same pond I have!! I can't wait to see what yours looks like!!!
XD yay we match!!

I feel like I'm gonna take forever with this xP I got set so far behind because I got suspended over the way I look for a month by the new store manager ;o; a month of no paychecks and your first paycheck being stolen for Union fees is horrible.

But progress! I'll at least have the bare skeleton done this year lol
 

Thr1ft

New Member
Messages
24
Reaction score
14
Points
28
Experience
2 years
Interested in this. I just put out a small 50 gallon pond out on the porch. Looks great and works great. Only problem is the water temp has gotten as high as 88 degrees. Being in South Carolina, we're not even into the hottest months yet. Already been some dead fish on the lake I live on due to the heat. How do you plan on keeping it cool with it being above ground (depending on what area you live in)? Maybe the sheer volume of water will keep it cooler? Does depth even matter with temperature if its not in ground? Genuinely curious as I would like mine to work so my two goldfish can go in it. Best of luck to you!
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #15

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Thr1ft said:
Interested in this. I just put out a small 50 gallon pond out on the porch. Looks great and works great. Only problem is the water temp has gotten as high as 88 degrees. Being in South Carolina, we're not even into the hottest months yet. Already been some dead fish on the lake I live on due to the heat. How do you plan on keeping it cool with it being above ground (depending on what area you live in)? Maybe the sheer volume of water will keep it cooler? Does depth even matter with temperature if its not in ground? Genuinely curious as I would like mine to work so my two goldfish can go in it. Best of luck to you!
The larger the volume the longer it takes to heat up and cool down. Depth is important for how much freezes over but I'm not sure about heat wise.

Keeping it in the shade helps keep it cool, shady ponds will be cooler than ones who get full sun.

My water stays in the low 80s or high 70s right now so I don't think I'll have issues with over heating, just freezing.

You could also try insulating it? I've heard people use hay for it but I don't know too much about that
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #17

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
aussieJJDude said:
Im subbing. Very interested in this build, can't wait to see how it turned out.
XD there will hopefully be an upgrade next weekend? Idk though cuz things keep setting this back xP its a shame but it'll happen eventually

My mom tried to get me to agree to letting my little brother use it as a pool... Then flipped when I said if he breaks it she would owe me $300
 

aussieJJDude

Well Known Member
Messages
3,950
Reaction score
2,229
Points
298
Experience
More than 10 years
luckdown said:
XD there will hopefully be an upgrade next weekend? Idk though cuz things keep setting this back xP its a shame but it'll happen eventually

My mom tried to get me to agree to letting my little brother use it as a pool... Then flipped when I said if he breaks it she would owe me $300
Im happy for the wait. Far more entertaining.

Haha, tell her that its possible unless she upgrades your pond to a larger size... That way, she gets her pool and you get your pond... win win situation isnt it?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #19

luckdown

Well Known Member
Messages
677
Reaction score
267
Points
98
Experience
Just started
Rofl! she'd never go for that.

We actually have a pool already my little brother is just scared of it for whatever reason (he's been in hotel pools for years so idk why)
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom