Starting A Shrimp Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Meganrae8148, Jul 31, 2019.

?

What can u add in fish tank to insure proper shrimp molt?

1. Minerals

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Calcium

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Meganrae8148

Meganrae8148Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    I'm starting a shrimp tank and have been researching. My tank is 10 gals with black gravel sponge filter moss balls and caves I've been wanting to do a shrimp tank forever. I'm planning on getting ghost shrimp cherry shrimp and blue velvet shrimp. Usually my last experience with ghost shrimp are they get white stripes and die. After further research it's due to improper molting I'm thinking. What do shrimp keepers add in there water to add needed minerals and calcium to shrimp tanks to insure proper molting? I have a regular api master test kit n will be getting one that test kh n all that stuff.

2. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +751
    Experience:
    4 years
    What's the PH/GH/KH of your tap water?

Mine is 7.8/12/12. I put some 11 total neo shrimp (blue velvet, red cherry, yellow Sunkist, etc) in my 75G tank. A year later, I have hundreds of them. This enormous colony of shrimp is even after heavy hunting from my gourami and puffer. Every time I clean my filter, there's hundreds of babies living in there I put into the tank.

I don't know a ton about shrimp, but the amount they reproduce says it all. If you can get your water close to my paremeters, your shrimp will breed well and be very healthy.

Just an FYI, I put a bunch of different colors in my tank and they interbreed. I like it and think they look cool, but if you want pure, perfect shrimp, don't mix them.

3. Grimfeather

GrimfeatherNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +20
    Experience:
    Just started
    I started a small tank(5.5g) myself and so far, havent had any die offs. Tank is about 2 months old and the plants are still getting established for the most part. My moss is growing like crazy tho. Substrate is Caribsea Eco Complete; I dose it with Flourish, Excel and Potassium mainly. I dose with the rest of the Seachem packs as needed. PH is hanging about 7.8-8. I need to recheck my GH and KH again. Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates are sitting at 0/0/5ppm. The only shrimp I have in mine are Cherrys and Amanos.

4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    @richie.p is a shrimp expert so I'll tag him for you :)

It looks like you are starting with a good setup. If possible, add more plants - they improve the water quality for your shrimp and provide grazing spots for them.

The most important thing in a shrimp tank is to have it fully cycled (shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters) and well established (because they mostly feed off the biofilm). If your tap water isn't suitable for shrimp, a lot of people prefer to use RO water and add a Salty Shrimp product (or similar... thats just the most popular brand). However, with just ghost and neocardinias, your tap water should be fine except in the most extreme circumstances. Personally, I mix my tap water with RO water because in SoCal we have really hard water and the ph is always above 8, but my shrimp still do fine if I just use tap.
    Anyway I'll let people with more experience chime in, but I wanted to comment on the shrimp you are getting. First, cherry shrimp and blue velvet shrimp are color morphs of the same species, so they will interbreed. This means that a few generations down the line, you will end up with brown shrimp. I suggest you stick to either the red or blue varieties of neo shrimp and not mix them. Second, a few years ago a lot of shops were mistakenly selling whisker shrimp as ghost shrimp. They look pretty similar (small, clear, etc), but whisker shrimp are very aggressive and will attack fish and other shrimp. This has mostly been rectified, but I would still double check before purchase (whiskers will have really long claws, about twice as long as a ghost shrimp's). ;)

5. richie.p

richie.pFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +2,457
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Excellent advise going on here I love what @ystrout as written about his setup and how it's working there, also @Grimfeather 5.5 tank they're still all alive after 2 month impressive it's hard to keep perameters stable but your doing it and it should pay off. Take on board what @fjh as advised as it's all good stuff, sorry @Meganrae8148 I had to say that as I liked what I was reading, people getting it right.
    Anyway it's so important to get your tank right in the beginning or disaster will follow, a tank that's been running for 3monthe will be fully cycled and biofilm build up on all the surfaces to sustain shrimp, your gh/kh ph are a must do and post before adding so you need to get that sorted, with the shrimp your adding your gh must not be below gh5 this is a big killer due to moulting so let's see what the results are, acclimation again important I always advise to drip cherries for two hrs if you plop and drop you run the risk of shock which leads to moulting issues
    Temperature 22.5c to 25c is a good area,the higher the temp the more they breed but lifespan is shortened , Feeding this is where you play a big part in conditioning the shrimp to moult, any of the food in the photo are good a few of them readally available as an all round food but they also need calcium and I give it to them in the way of veg, spinach kale broccoli, read this a few times to digest, take your time come back with water perameters and any questions, with advise from others above your in good hands

Attached Files:

6. OP
    OP
    Meganrae8148

Ratings:
    +20
    I love all the advice you guys I started my tank! I acclimated the shrimp for 2 hours. I have 5 cherry shrimp 5 ammano and 3 ghost shrimp 4 mystery snails . I have several of the products u have in your picture the pet store recommended me the crab cuisine immediately with purchase very helpful. I showed them a picture of your products any they pointed out what they had. I have multiple fish aquariums this was my very first inverts only tank! I purchased a better aquarium tester that tests for gh mines was a api maaster kit that tested the basic ammonia ph nitrite and nitrates. Ammonia is 0 nitrites 0 nitrates around 5ppm and 10ppm ph stays around 6.5 7.0 tanks 10 gals established sponge filter is filtration system. Will let everyone know gh once gh tester gets here from Amazon. Tank has black gravel lava rock moss and java moss. I have noticed I have a relatively low ph in my tap water. Could this low ph be due to low gh or nutrients needed in water? Is there any products that higher gh if need be or regulate it? I put cuttle bone In to be grazed on it sunken after a day will that offer calcium. I feed blanched cucumbers mystery snails loved it any other vegetables I should offer besides the pellet crab cuisine. My temp is 78 do u reccomend I higher it the amano shrimp seem to stay on the heater maybe is it because they prefer a higher temp then 78 or is this fine? My biggest fear is highering the temp past 78 n boiling my creatures

7. ystrout

ystroutWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +751
    Experience:
    4 years
    Let’s see a pic!

8. OP
    OP
    Meganrae8148

Ratings:
    +20
    Here it is not the greatest working progress still my newest aquatic project. Will be getting more plants I like plants that dont need special soil lighting ect like java moss anubias I have good luck with.

Attached Files:

9. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +1,107
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Nice tank! I especially like that lava rock! :D
    to answer your questions... 78F is fine for all your shrimp. If you need to raise it for short periods (or if room temperature gets hot in the summer) then don't sweat it, but I do not recommend raising it further on purpose. Crab cuisine is decent food for them. I would highly recommend buying Bacter AE (or similar product). It can be expensive but will last you a long time and it provides a shrimp's natural diet (basically, a lot of biofilm). I would also get algae wafers, but if you feed a lot of veggies then you can do without. As for kitchen items... my shrimp love blanched broccoli, spinach, carrots, and squash (I've only ever done acorn, zucchini, and italian, but I'm sure they would love other varieties too). Be careful about making cucumber a staple for any invert though because its mostly water and doesn't have nearly as much nutrients as lets say zucchini. They will also go crazy over a piece of raw shrimp or fish if you want to treat them. WRT ph, its just a measure of your H+ and OH- in your water. So long as it is stable, your ph around 7 (neutral) is completely fine. I would only get worried if you have ph swings, because those can kill your shrimp quickly. A lot of people use Salty Shrimp products (paired with RO water) to carefully control their GH and KH, but your shrimp should be fine without.

Become a Fishlore Member