Starting A Shrimp Tank

1. japswe

japswe New Member Member

Has anyone tried keeping cherry shrimp in a Fluval Edge 6 gallon tank? Wondering if the filter and lighting are acceptable for the shrimp and plants to be healthy. I would get a filter sponge so they don't get sucked up the tube.

2. KinsKicks

KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Hello!

Although I haven't personally, I see no problem with it! Although I do recommend changing the light if you want to keep something other than low light plants/low tech

Hope this helps and best of luck!

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

I've kept shrimp in an Edge.
    Mine was the original Edge & the lights weren't great for plants, I believe the newer lighting is much better.
    The filter flow can be a bit strong where the water re enters the tank but if you have plants or wood for it to fall over rather than just hitting the bottom of the tank the shrimp were fine with it

4. S

Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

I have a newer edge 12g and the anubias and radican swords grow well in it. I have cherry shrimp in it, and I've found that the filter intake is large enough for them to get sucked into the filter. I've actually had a shrimp crawl into the filter, but thankfully it lived (not sure how). After that I put a piece of foam into the intake, and there's no difference in flow.

5. OP
    OP
    japswe

japswe New Member Member

Does anyone know if there's an option to change the light strength in an older Edge? I have the one with the light that flips up:  

I figure the light bulbs can't be modified but hope I'm wrong! Thanks

6. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

I think I've seen a video of someone who didn't modify the original light, but added a CFL bulb to the arm that flips up.