Starting a Saltwater Tank

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about starting a Saltwater tank, and I have a couple of questions. I was wondering how big my tank should be, what should I get for the tank, what are good starter fish, and when should I do water changes?

Jon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey

Saltwater is very expensive be prepared for high costs. I reccomend at least 29 gallons but preferably more depending on what fish you are interested in. Clownfish and Damsels are hardy and good for beginners.

Water changes on larger tanks can be done twice a week but it really depends on your set up.

Live rock is great for biological filtration so i reccomend using at least 1 lb. per gallon in you tank. With live rock you dont need a Wet/dry or trickle filter. You need a protein skimmer though.

Lights will run you quite a bit depending on what you want. If it is a reef setup the lights on just a 29 could get up in the hundreds if u want harder corals like SPS.

If it is Fish only w/ liverock then u should be cool with standard flourescent lighting.

You will also need sand, just enough to make a good somewhat thick base.

And Salt and a Saltwater testing kit.

Also you will need to either buy purified water or get an R/O + D/I filter.

Thats all i can think of now. Plz post more specifically what set up you will be using.

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Reaction score
I wanted 2 get 2 Percula clownfish in a 20-30 gallon aquarium. What would be compatible with them, what equipment should I get 4 the tank, should I get invertebrates first, what inverts should I get, and when should I get the fish or inverts?

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
For a 30 gallon tank you could add about 5 green chromis and maybe a small cleanup crew of astrea snails and/or hermit crabs.

If keeping multiple clownfish introduce them at the same time.  Don't introduce anything until the live rock has completely cycled. Then you want to add your inverts and then after a week that you could add your fish.

Plan on small water changes of 10% every week or two if you get a good skimmer and are using lots of live rock.  If not, you'll need to up the percentage of water changed as well as the frequency.

https://www.fishlore.com/SaltwaterBeginners.htm

Caroilnekj6

Reaction score
Hi my name is caroline, i have one ques. for you... can you keep any diff. type of hermit crab in a salt water tank ???

From Caroline

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom