Starting a QT

1. curiousfish Initiate Member

Unfortunately I learned the hard way about QT tanks. I lost all my existing fish to ICH when adding some newbies (but the newbies survived - go figure). I am now setting up an old 10g as a QT and was wondering about cycling it. Can I attach the HOB filter to the existing tank to get some bacteria started? Or is there a better way to cycle a new tank. I've tried to look up info on actually getting the cycle going and I don't see a thread that addresses that. So if this question has already been answered a million times, please forgive me.

2. Marie1 Well Known Member Member

Running a filter on a cycled tank for a few weeks, then putting in on a new tank is a good thing to do. Or transferring bio media, if possible from a cycled filter, to the filter on a new tank, is the easiest and fastest way to cycle a tank.

But once you have a cycled filter for your QT tank, how to you plan on keeping the cycle going? For QT tanks I think it is easiest to just run a sponge filter,or other type of filter, in an existing, cycled tank. Then setting up and putting it into your QT tank as needed. This way you don't have to have a QT tank set up all the time, when you really should only need it occasionally .

3. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I usually keep extra media in my main tank at all times. Since I have 2 filters running on the main tank, its easy to slip in a sponge and some biomax. When I am ready to fire up the QT tank, VOILA! Instant cycle.

But as pointed out above, you NEED fish or some method ( ammonia ) to keep the cycle going. Without, your BB will eventually die off.

That is why I don't keep my QT tank running all the time - only when I need it.

Most people don't think about a QT tank until something happens. Its good that you are aware of what CAN happen as we all here have learned. :)

4. Ben3721 Well Known Member Member

Yup I agree. Also always keep in mind the bacteria don't really live in the water, they live in the gravel and biomedia. I also do the same thing. When its time for the qt tank I just take some media from the healthily tank and even some gravel. And instant cycle.

5. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't waste a glass aquarium for a QT. A plastic container/tub from walmart at $5 can serve the purpose. Keep a sponge filter running in one of your other tanks, and keep a extra heater. You can store away everything until needed.

6. curiousfish Initiate Member

Thanks for the advice everyone. since all my fish recently passed away, I am in the process of restocking my 75g tank with tetras and other smaller fish. I figure it will take me a while and I might as well have a nice looking QT while I'm at it. After I'm finished with the restock I think I might convert that tank into another display tank and get a temporary QT for emergencies.