Starting a QT

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by curiousfish, Jul 16, 2014.

1. curiousfishNew MemberMember

Unfortunately I learned the hard way about QT tanks. I lost all my existing fish to ICH when adding some newbies (but the newbies survived - go figure). I am now setting up an old 10g as a QT and was wondering about cycling it. Can I attach the HOB filter to the existing tank to get some bacteria started? Or is there a better way to cycle a new tank. I've tried to look up info on actually getting the cycle going and I don't see a thread that addresses that. So if this question has already been answered a million times, please forgive me.

2. Marie1

Marie1Well Known MemberMember

Running a filter on a cycled tank for a few weeks, then putting in on a new tank is a good thing to do. Or transferring bio media, if possible from a cycled filter, to the filter on a new tank, is the easiest and fastest way to cycle a tank.

But once you have a cycled filter for your QT tank, how to you plan on keeping the cycle going? For QT tanks I think it is easiest to just run a sponge filter,or other type of filter, in an existing, cycled tank. Then setting up and putting it into your QT tank as needed. This way you don't have to have a QT tank set up all the time, when you really should only need it occasionally .

3. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I usually keep extra media in my main tank at all times. Since I have 2 filters running on the main tank, its easy to slip in a sponge and some biomax. When I am ready to fire up the QT tank, VOILA! Instant cycle.

But as pointed out above, you NEED fish or some method ( ammonia ) to keep the cycle going. Without, your BB will eventually die off.

That is why I don't keep my QT tank running all the time - only when I need it.

Most people don't think about a QT tank until something happens. Its good that you are aware of what CAN happen as we all here have learned. :)

4. Ben3721Well Known MemberMember

Yup I agree. Also always keep in mind the bacteria don't really live in the water, they live in the gravel and biomedia. I also do the same thing. When its time for the qt tank I just take some media from the healthily tank and even some gravel. And instant cycle.

5. _Fried_Bettas_

_Fried_Bettas_Well Known MemberMember

I wouldn't waste a glass aquarium for a QT. A plastic container/tub from walmart at $5 can serve the purpose. Keep a sponge filter running in one of your other tanks, and keep a extra heater. You can store away everything until needed.

6. OP
    OP
    c

curiousfishNew MemberMember

Thanks for the advice everyone. since all my fish recently passed away, I am in the process of restocking my 75g tank with tetras and other smaller fish. I figure it will take me a while and I might as well have a nice looking QT while I'm at it. After I'm finished with the restock I think I might convert that tank into another display tank and get a temporary QT for emergencies.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice