Starting A Planted Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by FishieAB, Aug 11, 2015.

1. FishieABValued MemberMember

I have had my tank since middle of May and really want to change it from artificial stuff and gravel to a planted tank. Its a 29 gallon long, Fluval brand tank. Fluval C3 filter, Fluval heater and Fluval lights. Honestly don't know what the wattage is on lights or heater I can see if its in the manuals I have. It came together as a starter kit. I do have a timer for the light however. I just have absolutely NO IDEA where to start. What plants, what substrate, what decor? I want as little substrate as possible because I have an Angelfish however.

2. Thomas LinValued MemberMember

The lights that come with Fluval tanks are not strong enough to support most plants, aside from anubias, java fern, and moss.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

3. FishieABValued MemberMember

I have no problem getting new ones, I can just fit them in to the light fixture correct? I'd like to stay away from buying a new filter if possible.

4. junebugFishlore LegendMember

You don't need a new filter, the C3 is a very good one.

Do you have a link to the tank kit you bought?

5. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

It's going to be kind of hard to have a planted tank if you want to keep the substrate to a minimum. One thing you could do is to keep it bare bottom with a piece of driftwood and attach a java fern to it. It will take forever to grow, but eventually you will have a big fern and get the planted tank look.

You could also keep a few easy low light plants in terracotta pots.

6. FishieABValued MemberMember

I was just told I needed minimal substrate to keep my Angel. If that's incorrect I'll put it as much substrate as needed for healthy plant life. I don't like bare bottom.

Here is the link for the kit I got.  

7. BDpupsWell Known MemberMember

Are you only keeping the angel in the tank? No other fish?

8. FishieABValued MemberMember

There's also an algae eater and 2 swordtails though i'm really leaning towards removing the swordtails and getting a pair of dwarf cichlids.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice