Starting A New Pond For Second Time... Help

1. Manjit Member Member

Hey guys... Earlier I lived in my grandfathers house there I started my first pond... which was quite successfull... I had some mollie, platy, guppies, rainbow sharks and sailfin pleco...
    Temperature conditions here are in winter it gets around 6°C at night lowest and in summer around 46°C at noon highest....
    This time I want to keep some chichlids...
    what would you suggest....
    Pond size will be roughly 7ft in lenght 4feet in width and 5ft in depth... probably will make it bigger...
    please help...

2. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

I would ask this on the cichlid subforum. You would probably get a better range of replies from knowledgeable keepers.

3. Manjit Member Member

7c9f0f8a5f5870ff525263f21f75df22.jpg
    one of the old pond pics

4. maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

That was an interesting mix in your first pond. It would be neat to be able to do year round outdoor tropicals.

5. Manjit Member Member

yes... temp around here allows so

the ones in the pic is swordtail... they were pigs for eating... always hungry

6. endlercollector Fishlore VIP Member

Whoa, down to 6 degrees C at night in the winter and up to 46 degrees in the summer? How did the fish at your grandfather's place survive? I wouldn't think even Girardius Metallicus or Gambusia could survive that... I would stick to goldfish ;)

7. Manjit Member Member

winter nights can be pulled on a heater...
    or if pond is deap enough atleast 4feet... it doesnt affect much in summers or winter... in winter at nights it gets around 8°C to 6°C but morning it rises from 12°C to noon around 8°C

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Where are you located? What will be the temp of the water?

9. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Several threads have been merged, please only create one thread per topic

10. Manjit Member Member

i created one but someone adviced to post it on chiclid subforum... so I did that and then I was not able to see these threds.. so I had to post another

Dhanbad, Jharkhand, India...
    Temperature will not pose much problem as the pond will be deep enough... and it remains warm throughout the year....
    In summers it gets maximum to 46°C for few days lets say a week during afternoon... and in winters during December at night it can get to 6°C... which is lowest in our area.....

remaing times temperature remains moderate.... 25°C to 35°C....
    just one month of extreme heat in summer and one month of extreme cold in winter....

11. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

In such a big outdoor pond like that with a range of temps throughout the year, I'd try to stock with some native fish, as they might be able to handle the change in temps better.

12. Manjit Member Member

In native fishes... I dont have much choices...
    they are Rehu, Catla, telepia and glassfish(not native but close by)

besides my fishes in my previous pond were thriving and reproducing like maniacs... they were...
    Swordtails, mollies, guppies, rainbow sharks, sailfin pleco, bala sharks...

13. Manjit Member Member

I guess I will stop the pond project for a while and think a bit..
    As I have got obsessed with chichlids and want to do a chichlid pond.... But not getting any Idea... Temprature is not what I am worried about....

14. Ankers Well Known Member Member

I'd go for a pleco to clean up the algae