starting a new 20 gallon tank

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
i just started my new 20 gallon tank yesterday , i have two options in mind to cycle the tank so i need to know which one will be easy and quicker.

option1
i can use filter media from my 5.5 gallon tank, but its not completely cycled yet ,it got reading for readings for both nitrites and nitrates just waiting for nitrites to go down to 0, but i will still need some source of ammonia which could either be fish or pure ammonia, so what could be the best option here?

option2
fishless method using pure ammonia ,and TSS or interpet filter start as a bacteria additive

any input will be helpful

thnx
dee

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
hi I'm new to fish but i have just set up a new 20 gallon tank and just put some fish in it. I did option 2 but i got some raw fish instead of pure ammonia. As with raw fish you just leave it in and do nothing. With pure ammonia you have to do it every so often and not put to much in or it will take longer.

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
jackgooner87 said:
hi I'm new to fish but i have just set up a new 20 gallon tank and just put some fish in it. I did option 2 but i got some raw fish instead of pure ammonia. As with raw fish you just leave it in and do nothing. With pure ammonia you have to do it every so often and not put to much in or it will take longer.
thnx for a quick reply jack, did you use any bacteria addtive?? and what is the status of your cycle at the moment?

jackgooner87

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
the cycle has now finished and got to guppies 2 days ago to slow enjoy the tank. I used some thing to take stuff out of tap warter and i used bacteria addtive but I'm sorry i can't remember of hand what one

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
even with using the raw shrimp or raw fish method you still need to test the water regularly and make sure the ammonia level doesn't get too high.

Kupcake

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
There is alot of good information here about TSS, and I am currently doing a trial on SuperBac (another bacterial additive) *geesh, i feel like a superbac spokes-person!*

Anyway, additives can really speed things up, but you will still have to chose your source of ammonia, either pure ammonia or fish.

I got Goodwin's Pure Ammonia from the 99c store and I don't have to worry about causeing fishy deaths.

In my superbac trial I estimate that it will take less than a week to cycle my fresh 10 gal.

catsma_97504

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Welcome to Fishlore deequadri!

If you decide to use pure ammonia, here's a very informative posting that discusses 2 options: 1. dosing ammonia daily or 2. dose and wait

Good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads