Starting A New 10 gallon

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi everyone,
It's been a while since I've posted here! Long time no see. It's good to be back :)

I still have a 55 gallon and a 10 gallon here at home stocked with tropical fish. Both tanks are still doing well and the fish are even starting to age a bit (my blood parrots turn 7 this upcoming summer). Anyway, I'm interested in starting a totally new tank in my apartment when I return to school in a few weeks. I don't have much space so I was thinking a 10 gallon.

It's been a while since I've bought any tank equipment or anything like that so I'm looking for recommendations on what's best these days. What's the best power filter on the market? I was at petsmart and it looks like they rebranded aquaclear as fluval. I'm just confused at this point, Lol!

I'm also open to stocking suggestions. I'm bummed about what to get... maybe just a few guppies? I want something different and interesting. Nothing too typical. I really don't know, haha.
Thanks!

EvanLedford

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome back

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Evan, that's actually a great idea! I hadn't even thought of inverts. A shrimp tank would be sweet. I was considering a pair of ADFs... Hmmm. So indecisive!

Lucy, thanks!

peacemaker92

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome back!

Evan's idea of a shrimp tank sounds nice. Makes me want to start one too after realizing how low-cost it is I used to have a 10 gallon as well with live plants and some Freshwater Nerite snails. Probably wasn't as lively as a shrimp tank but it was interesting to come back to it every week or so and watch more of them appear.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have two words for you: Opae Ula

Google it, you'll thank me later

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm beginning to think planted tank is the way to go. But at the same time I want the tank to be easy to move back home in the summer. Wouldn't that disturb the plant roots? Never actually letting them fully establish must not be healthy.

Junebug, those are so vibrant! What makes them different than Red Cherry Shrimp? Are they more red and less translucent? They appear to stay about the same size. Will my local pet shop in PA stock those?

Thanks everyone

Viriam Karo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'll suggest what I currently have my eye on for a smaller tank--celestial pearl danios! They stay really small, and if you want shrimp like RCS, they might eat any shrimplets they find, but they'll leave the adults alone. And if you have plenty of moss, probably enough shrimplets would survive.

OR danio erythromicrons

And yeah, AquaClears are now Fluvals. But they're still nice I've got an AC 20 on my 10 gal betta/shrimp tank.

James95

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Awesome! Thank you Viriam. I wasn't sure if the fluvals were still the same filter as the Aquaclear or if they were like some sort of new and improved version. It appears that they just re-branded them, which is good news because Aquaclears are my favorite HOB filters out there!

I love everyone's advice... I think a heavily planted tank would look really cool! Especially with some shrimp

badrad

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
You should be aware that there are 2 series of filters. There is the the AC series, which are the original aqua clear filters, and the C series that are fluval. There are differences in the internal designs, each with their pros and cons. Both brands are owned by Hagen.

adive

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Heavily planted tank!! Way to go. Have you ever tried a walstad tank? Want to give it a shot? that way you wont need most equipment

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom