Starting A Glowlight School

Blake Shook
Hey everyone!

I've got a small tank I'll be starting up soon and I'd like to drop a school of glowlights in. Do I need to quarantine them all separate and introduce them one at a time or can I just drop them all in at once, since they're the only inhabitants and all from the same vendor. Also just to make sure, I need 6 of these little guys to ensure they'll school and be happy right?

-Thanks!

goplecos
How big is the tank.

aquatickeeper
You can quarantine all of them in the same quarantine tank and then transfer it to the main tank all at once. Yes, 6 is enough for a school.

Is there any fish in the main tank? How big is the small tank?

goplecos
You can quarantine all of them in the same quarantine tank and then transfer it to the main tank all at once. Yes, 6 is enough for a school.

Depending on the size of the tank and how established it is I would QT and add them 3 at a time. I know they should be in a bigger school but they will be OK for a week or 2.

aquatickeeper
If the OP has a well established media, I think you can do 6 at once.

Betrayer

It doesn't sound to me like there is a main tank. I think the OP is setting up a small tank soon and hoping to stock it with a school of glowlights. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.

goplecos
If the OP has a well established media, I think you can do 6 at once.
I did say depending on how established the tank is. If it is fully established then it won't be an issue.

Blake Shook
How big is the tank.
10g

It doesn't sound to me like there is a main tank. I think the OP is setting up a small tank soon and hoping to stock it with a school of glowlights. I could be wrong, but that's how I read it.
Sorry for the late response! That's exactly what I meant.

aquatickeeper
I wouldn't do glowlights in a 10 gallon. 20 gallons minimum.

goplecos
I wouldn't do glowlights in a 10 gallon. 20 gallons minimum.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of Glofish. Glowlights are usually less than an inch.

aquatickeeper
I still wouldn't keep them in 10 gallons.

goplecos
I still wouldn't keep them in 10 gallons.

I have kept them in 10 gallons and they did great. Also do the google and almost everyone says 10 gallons is fine.

BottomDweller
I agree with AquaticKeeper, 20 gallons minimum

aquatickeeper
Most sites are inaccurate in fish profiles.

toolman
The more fish I try in my 10 gallon tank, the more I agree with aquatickeeper. Every fish kept in their minimum size tank, does better in a larger tank when they feel safer and have more room.

goplecos
Most sites are inaccurate in fish profiles.

Agree but this is everyone.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TankTech
  • Aquaphobia
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
max h
  • Question
Replies