Starting A Dubia Roach Colony

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
So, I'm about to order 100 small dubia roaches and I was wondering how to truly care for them. I've read that their diet should vary day to day, and that they get most of their fluids from their food. So I was thinking, Monday-Apples, Tuesday-Oranges, Wednesday-Celery or Cucumber, Thursday-Some kind of leafy green, Friday-Calcium covered Apples, Saturday-No food, then Sunday-Carrots/Beets. Would this work? They will be in a big plastic tote with a lot of egg cartons and paper towel and toilet paper rolls. I keep the room their going to be kept in at 70 degrees, and I'll mist them every other day. Would these conditions allow them to breed when they're older? And I'll also feed them some food scraps every Sunday.

wodesorel

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They may not produce babies, or enough babies, at 70. They are tropical and really need around 85 to start popping them out.

It just depends how you plan on using them. If they are being kept as pets then you can watch and adjust the temp based on how fast they are growing. If it's just a few juvis here and there as food for another pet it may work perfectly, but if you're wanting to harvest a lot or need them at full size you will need some supplemental heat to get them going.

The food plan sounds good. They should get some form of protein though once a week, or they may turn on each other. A good dry dog kibble or fish food pellet works.

Colt Frost

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wodesorel said:
They may not produce babies, or enough babies, at 70. They are tropical and really need around 85 to start popping them out.

It just depends how you plan on using them. If they are being kept as pets then you can watch and adjust the temp based on how fast they are growing. If it's just a few juvis here and there as food for another pet it may work perfectly, but if you're wanting to harvest a lot or need them at full size you will need some supplemental heat to get them going.

The food plan sounds good. They should get some form of protein though once a week, or they may turn on each other. A good dry dog kibble or fish food pellet works.
Ya there going to be kept as food for my leopard gecko. And I’ll throw in some dog food when I do the dusted apples.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom