Starting a Cycle Questions

julifhy

I’m going to FINALLY start cycling my 10 gallon tomorrow and I had a couple more questions. I’m going to be using Prime for the water conditioner, Dr. Tim’s One and Only, and Dr. Tim’s Ammonia.
So far this is what I know I have to do:

2A84A9C0-A6A0-4663-94BC-A61025D8C905.jpeg
How much ammonia do I have to add when it gets close to 0? Is there anymore details I have to know?

MrBryan723

Add it back up to 2ppm. You have some wiggle room tho. Somewhere between 1 and 4 should be easy enough to manage. Even with the bb in a bottle, don't be surprised if it still takes a month to cycle. Oh and add the bb to your filter and not the tank. That'll give it the best chance to seed.
Keep feeding the tank ammonia even after it is cycled up until you get your fish, just make sure it is back down to 0 and the nitrates are pretty low before you add them. Basically do a water change the day of or the day before if needed.

Upvote 0

julifhy

Add it back up to 2ppm. You have some wiggle room tho. Somewhere between 1 and 4 should be easy enough to manage. Even with the bb in a bottle, don't be surprised if it still takes a month to cycle. Oh and add the bb to your filter and not the tank. That'll give it the best chance to seed.
Keep feeding the tank ammonia even after it is cycled up until you get your fish, just make sure it is back down to 0 and the nitrates are pretty low before you add them. Basically do a water change the day of or the day before if needed.
Ty! I didn’t know you had to add it into your filter. I also already have my fish. I’m upgrading my betta’s tank to a 10 gallon

Upvote 0

MrBryan723

Is your betta already in a cycled tank with a filter you could move over to the 10 gallon? If so, just skip the whole cycle process and move the betta over with the filter and it will be cycled. If you already have a cycled tank, there's no real reason to start a completely new cycle on a new tank.(outside of cross contamination of course)

Upvote 0

julifhy

Is your betta already in a cycled tank with a filter you could move over to the 10 gallon? If so, just skip the whole cycle process and move the betta over with the filter and it will be cycled. If you already have a cycled tank, there's no real reason to start a completely new cycle on a new tank.(outside of cross contamination of course)
He’s in a cycled 2.5 gallon tank, so would the filter still cycle the 10 gallon?
He’s dealing with fin rot and a small growth on his head, so I’m not sure if I want to put him in yet. I’ve also already bought the bb and ammonia, so I kind of want to use it and properly cycle my tank (I didn’t cycle my bettas tank before getting him).

Upvote 0

ProudPapa

He’s in a cycled 2.5 gallon tank, so would the filter still cycle the 10 gallon?
He’s dealing with fin rot and a small growth on his head, so I’m not sure if I want to put him in yet. I’ve also already bought the bb and ammonia, so I kind of want to use it and properly cycle my tank (I didn’t cycle my bettas tank before getting him).

Yes, that filter would still cycle the 10 gallon tank, since the bioload doesn't change. I'd make the move now, and not let the fact that I bought stuff affect the plan going forward. I'd get that fish out of that small tank and into the larger one with fresh water. That will probably help with the fin rot; at least it can't hurt.

Upvote 0

Sorg67

Here is what Dr Tim says about using his product. I would follow his instructions.

Upvote 0

julifhy

Yes, that filter would still cycle the 10 gallon tank, since the bioload doesn't change. I'd make the move now, and not let the fact that I bought stuff affect the plan going forward. I'd get that fish out of that small tank and into the larger one with fresh water. That will probably help with the fin rot; at least it can't hurt.
Here is what Dr Tim says about using his product. I would follow his instructions.

Ty! This is really helpful. I’m not sure which way of cycling I should do, butI think I’m going to start a completely new one though.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaCaitlin
Replies
Views
imba
Replies
Views
GlennO
  • Question