Starting A Central/south American 75g

Neuf88
So I've had an established 75 gallon for 15 months or so and I'm tired of little fish. I have lemon tetra, rummy nose tetra and several apistoss. Hongsloi, macmasteri, aggasassi. I'm looking to move into medium cichlids like the firemouth so I purchased a juvy and added him in. I'm slowly moving out the other guys but I need stock ideas for the 75 now other than the single firemouth and bottlenose who I'd like to keep in there. No breeding pairs.

I was thinking firemouth, blue acara and maybe 1 other medium cichlid? and then a school of something that won't die? and will suit the 75g.

All idea welcome. I have Amanos and snails in there too but I can move if need be.

JeffK
My favorite CA Cichlid is the sajica (t-bar) cichlid. Another nice fish for that sized tank is a rotkeil severum.

Albifrons
Keyhole cichlids! I know I've suggested this fish on several threads by now, but I just love them!

tyguy7760
The first question that should be asked is what type of water do you have? Hard or soft? High or low ph?

second, if it were me I'd make every attempt to not mix central and south americans. That being said, it's not a huge deal if you do unless you have soft water. If you have soft water you should really stick with south americans.

Assuming all the parameters are in check, i'd suggest doing a firemouth, rainbow cichlid, and rotkiel severum. Blue acara is also fine. Stick to 2 or 3 species of cichlids at the most and no pairs if you do 3.

Neuf88
Keyhole cichlids! I know I've suggested this fish on several threads by now, but I just love them!
I just can't find them by me haha, I want one

The first question that should be asked is what type of water do you have? Hard or soft? High or low ph?

second, if it were me I'd make every attempt to not mix central and south americans. That being said, it's not a huge deal if you do unless you have soft water. If you have soft water you should really stick with south americans.

Assuming all the parameters are in check, i'd suggest doing a firemouth, rainbow cichlid, and rotkiel severum. Blue acara is also fine. Stick to 2 or 3 species of cichlids at the most and no pairs if you do 3.
Yea I only planned on 3 or so 6 inch cichlids and a small school of something large enough to hang with them and no breeding pairs

Fashooga
I have in my 90g a JD, severum and a blood parrot. I surrounded them with 18 Colombian tetras. I know mine will grow a decent size. I'm enjoying mine right now.

Neuf88
So In the 75 gallon I went with

1 juvy firemouth
1 juvy electric blue acara
1 juvy T Bar cichlid
1 Bn plecco
9 congo tetra

I don't want to overstick so I was considering the possibility of one more cichlid or maybe a redtaik shark and be done with it but I'm undecided

My favorite CA Cichlid is the sajica (t-bar) cichlid. Another nice fish for that sized tank is a rotkeil severum.
Got a t bar. He or she is maybe an inch and maybe my favorite already after a day haha. So active brave and curious

tyguy7760
I would not do another cichlid in the 75. If you want to add something, go with a bottom dwelling catfish of some sort or a few more congos.

Neuf88
I would not do another cichlid in the 75. If you want to add something, go with a bottom dwelling catfish of some sort or a few more congos.
Ok that is what I expected but wasn't sure. Would you say a redtail black shark would be suitable? I figure he would kind of be helping as clean up crew to the BN. Not sure if that would work or not. If not what would you recommend for a scavenger type. Here's the 75g.

Attachments

• 0225181728.jpg
    0225181728.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 148
tyguy7760
I would not do a shark of any kind in a tank with 3 cichlids. They are territorial and probably would not get along with them. I would suggest a catfish of some sort. A couple of hoplo cats or a featherfin syno would do well I believe. Perhaps a school of aeneus corydoras would do well. 8 or so. Not sure how they would get along with a firemouth though...

Neuf88
I would not do a shark of any kind in a tank with 3 cichlids. They are territorial and probably would not get along with them. I would suggest a catfish of some sort. A couple of hoplo cats or a featherfin syno would do well I believe. Perhaps a school of aeneus corydoras would do well. 8 or so. Not sure how they would get along with a firemouth though...
Ok I'm more in tune woth a single specimen a few inches long that could defend if need be rather than schools of scavengers in the past. Now that I married it down, can ypu recommend those same cats as a single specimen.? I just want something as a specific scavenger other than a BN

Neuf88
Albifrons
Neuf88
Ah ok, well I may just stick with the stock I have but if I do come across an independent medium size scavenger (3-5 inches and not a plecco) I may pull the trigger eventually.

tyguy7760
featherfin syno/catfish would work solo. Hoplo cat probably would. I believe Trins Fish sells them so you can get an idea of what they look like.

raphael catfish would also work but you'll never see itif you get that.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
aquachris
Replies
Views
MommyGourami
Replies
Views
jerilovesfrogs
Replies
Views