Starting a 75 gallon moderately planted peaceful community tank

saltwater60

Finally got off my rear end and started building the stand. 75 gallon on the bottom half filled for a red eared slider and a 75 gallon tank full of fish up top. I have to cut the top posts down and notch them. Then I’ll do 2x6” for the top because there will be no center support anywhere there. I’ll also toss a shelf off the side built like a tank so I can throw my current 20 gallon tank there. I might want to play with some stuff or try to breed some shrimp.
let me know what you think of the stand. It’s dead level. I mean perfect.

BlackSkirtTetra

What fish are you thinking of adding?

saltwater60

Just a bunch of small fish.
Ember tetras
Danios
Badis
Other small tetras
Small rasboras.
Red neon blue eyed rainbows
Some snails
Some shrimp
Just a inch of small bright colored fish. Lots is small schooling fish.

ShastaDaisy

I’m curious how are you are liking your stocking. Did you get red neons? Do you like them?

JettsPapa

The stand looks good so far. I'll admit I was concerned when I saw you mention notching posts, but when I saw you're using 4x6's I quit being concerned.

saltwater60

ShastaDaisy said:
I’m curious how are you are liking your stocking. Did you get red neons? Do you like them?
I bought green tetras and like them. They are much hardier than regular neon tetras. They are doing great and I have a small school of 6.
Overall I’m happy with everything except the choprae/glow light danios. They are aggressive and attack all new fish. Usually just some fins gone that regrow. However a while back I noticed one runny nosed terra missing an eye. This one was small, thin, and weak at purchase. I figured I’d fatten him up and it would be great. It died shortly after. Now I’ve noticed one ember terra missing an eye and one of my furcata rainbows missing an eye. I’m not happy about it. The ember terra seems to not be missing a beat but the furcata rainbows swims around all confused. If he doesn’t improve soon I’ll have to put him down. I know they are just fish but this bothers me. I’ll likely remove the glow light danios. I statutes with 7 and they were aggressive so I went to 10 and they were still aggressive. More research indicated they like larger school sizes so I went to 15 and it was better for a while.

JettsPapa said:
The stand looks good so far. I'll admit I was concerned when I saw you mention notching posts, but when I saw you're using 4x6's I quit being concerned.
The stand is a tank.

TWiG87

Yea that stand is awesome, I have always been a fan of overbuilt stands/tables. Especially when it comes to supporting the weight of an aquarium

saltwater60

Wow I guess I should do an update!! I’ve been slacking.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom