Starting a 70g Planted Community!!!

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by Scoutsfish, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Scoutsfish

Scoutsfish Well Known Member Member

Hey guys!!! I am super excited. Tomorrow I am picking up a 70g tank! It comes with everything, heater lid, lights, etc. the filter is a "Rena filter". Not sure how good it is so if anyone has experience please fill me in!:)

This tank will be replacing both my 25g and my 29g as I will be combining them into one big tank. I will be taking down the 25g right away as this tank goes in it's place, but I will be keeping the 29g up as quarantine for a few more weeks for some new fish I plan to bring in:)

I plan to have this be a planted tank with regular black gravel as substrate and simple plants such as wisteria, bacopa, hygrophilia, anarchis, duckweed etc. nothing too fancy, just what I already have. For fish stocking.. I hope to do the following:

These are the fish I have so far that would go into it:

1 adult male angel(want to add 3-1m 2f)
    7 harlequin rasboras(add 1-3 more)
    4 albino cories(would add maybe 4 more, not sure on how many more)
    1 male apisto
    1male DG
    8 full grown neon tetras(will have to hope angels don't get them)
    3 platies( may add 2 females as I have 2m and 1f)
    3 otos(may add more, not sure)
    Handful of nerite snails

I'm hoping to add:
    3 mollies
    3 swordtails for variety and color
    8 (of one or two of these schools, can't decide which)cherry barbs, rummy nose tetras, black skirt tetras, zebra danios or something else?
    1 3 spot gourami
    Maybe a pearl gourami
    1bn pleco
    3 siamese algae eaters
    1 either rainbow shark or pictus catfish(or other more 'oddball' fish. suggestions welcome!!)
    I would love some sort of loach, any ideas?

What do you think? I will post pictures when I get the tank:)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
  2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

I dont think the 3 types of gouramis would work, it'd be risky...

3. Tiny goatfish

Tiny goatfish Well Known Member Member

Setting up a new tank is always fun! The platys and sword tails would crossbreed by the way. I'm not sure if it's a good idea to mix gourami, they might fight. The Corys will be very happy with more friends :). Have fun stocking it!

4. Dom90

That's what I was thinking, the different gouramis might fight, hence why I said risky...

5. Tiny goatfish

Yeah you ninja'ed me :). Also I would get the BN pleco, they are super cute and a little strange looking so it might count as a oddball fish :)

6. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

That's what I was worried about. I heard the dg may get along with either a pearl or a 3 spot but probably not the pearl and spot getting along. Do you think the dg would get along with either of those two?

I had 9 cories a little bit ago but they blended in with my gravel and I wasn't expecting to upgrade my tank so I gave them to someone else:/ should've waited! But oh well.

I've heard mixed reviews about bn plecos. Would it be safe with plants? I would supplement diet with wafers and other foods and there will also be drift wood in the tank.

Also I would be fine with the swordtails and platies crossbreeding. I was becoming over run with platy fry before I added the dg and apisto to my 25g. Now I never get fry that live past them so I'm not too worried about overbreeding or too many fry:)

7. Dom90

Ok a couple of things... I think the DG would be the most aggressive of the three so you may only be able to get one other gourami and if they decide to claim different side of the tank.

Had a couple people tell me their BN plecos would just run their plants over and they would have to replant them. A gentler approach I would recommend is to get 3-4 Siamese Algae Eaters. I have 6 and they do an excellent job eating algae and keeping my glass and plants fairly clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

8. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

My 55g is moderately planted and ive never had an issue with my BN messing with the plants. He cleans them occasionally, but doesnt eat or uproot them. As far as front to back goes, the back 3/4 is where the plants are, and the front 1/4 is open on the substrate and mostly open in the upper areas. The BN is spastic at feeding time, but I havent had a single issue with him and my plants. Get it while its still young and small, and it will be used to the layout of the tank. I got mine at about 2-2.5" and hes 3.75" now.

9. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

It is possible that the dg would be the most aggressive, but so far the one I have minds his own business fairly well. Never bothers others from what I've seen. I'm interested in the bn pleco mainly for looks and not for algae eating as I have the otos for that.

10. Bluestreakfl

Bluestreakfl Well Known Member Member

In a way having the BN could also benefit the Otos, as they would benefit from the fresh veggies like cucumber and Zucchini that the BNs like to have in their diet. Otos can often starve without algae, and cucumber/Zucchini is one of the few other things theyll actually eat. I also give my BN Omega One Green seaweed, which Otos might like but not sure on that. I know my BN goes crazy for the stuff though.

11. Dom90

I give my SAEs omega one veggie rounds as my algae is fairly under control for now.

12. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I would add at least 2 more female platies, the recommended ratio is 1m~2-3f. If you're getting male swordtails you need to count them as males in the 1~3 ratio too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

13. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I may have to get some sae's and a bn:) I will also up my platy number to two, meant to change that in my original post but I forgot.

The tank is currently in the back of my car!!!!! The tank was taken down last week as the owner was downsizing the number of tanks and upgrading to a bigger tank. The stand is really pretty, everything looks great and I am super excited! The seals on the tank don't look brand new but they still hold water so that's all that matters! Came with a pretty background, lots of fake plants and some hideouts, a nice fluval heater nice Rena filter which may take me a minute to assemble and figure out even though they showed me how.. First canister filter and "big tank"! It's dimensions are the same as a 55g just taller so it should be easy to replace anything as needed. The fish in my 25g and maybe the rasboras from the 29g will be moving in tonight with the filter media from my current tanks. All new fish will have to wait atleast a week as I have one more out of town thing the first week of august and I don't want to buy any new fish before I go incase something happens.

I came back to lots and lots of "fun" algae in my 25g as someone messed up the timings for the tank light >.> but I am hoping it clears up in the new tank. I will be waiting to get more cories or a bn until the plants take better root, but all others will be added as I find them basically, hopefully starting with the angels:)

Ps.. Does anyone have experience with pictus catfish? They are super active and cool coloring, live aquaria says that they are peaceful and only up to 6in.. Are they schooling fish it just one for their kind or what? Any info on these guys would be appreciated:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  14. u

uncfan Valued Member Member

I have a BN, a clown and a rubber lip pleco all in planted tanks with no issues. Both tanks have 2 different type of wood and I give them algae waffer pieces once a week and veggies twice a week. Maybe if the tank only had plants and the pleco wasn't supplemented in some way they might eat plants.

15. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

That is good to hear from a couple people that their plecos are plant safe:) is seen some super little baby bn at the lds several times before and I was oh so tempted to snatch them up! They're cute!!

I have the tank home now! I am in the process of cleaning it up and will take down te 25g tonight as well. Very excited!!! Stopped by walmart for some gravel and they had super cute little angels, 3 spot gourami, platies and swordtails that I wanted to take home super bad but didn't. I'm thinking of getting a white/gold angel, a silver/black striped and maybe a koi or other color. My male right now is a marbled:)

I keep seeing or reading about different fish species and thinking ooh! What about those! I have room now!! I need to plan and make sure I really want the kinda I'm getting so I don't stock this thing then realize there's other species id want much more haha

16. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

I have a 5" common pleco with plants, he's uprooted a couple new ones (not many roots yet) with his tail trashing but otherwise I've had no problems with it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

17. OP
    OP
    Scoutsfish

I got the tank all set up!!! Haha you know you have too many plants in a tank when you only end up using a little over half of what you have in a 25g(floor space of a 15g) for a 70g(floor space of a 55g) :)

Have maybe 5-6 hygrophilia, too much wisteria to count, some bacopa, and a mass of Java moss that's a tiny bit smaller than a basketball, some anarchis, hornwort, duckweed.. And a tiny anubias:)

The fish love it! Got all of them transferred with only one possible casualty.. I was trying to net 3 neons, got them in the net trapped against te glass and some how I think one got squished as it lost an eye? I'm not sure how it happened.. He/she is still alive but is chilling by themself in the corner of the tank. If it does die I will wait and see if the angel leaves the rest alone, and if he does I will get a few more and let them grow a little before adding them to the tank.

I'll probably add the rasboras tomorrow, not sure. May wait a few days. The filter is stuffed with new and old media so it's cycled already, just have to add new ones slowly:) can't wait to get more fish in there!!!!

18. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

In this size tank, I'd say three gourami species would be fine. My pearl and three spot get along fine, they're both males. The dwarf, being smaller though, may get picked on.....

19. Tiny goatfish

Pictures please :).

20. Dom90

Forgot to mention that I have two paradise gouramis in my 75g and for the most part, they're alright with each other. I have a ton of hiding spots with all the plants.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice