Starting a 55 gal

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Trippdj, Jul 4, 2016.

1. T

Trippdj New Member Member

So I finally convinced my wife to let me start a 55 gal tank, (thanks Petco $1 per gal). Anyway I currently have a 10 gal that I'm running that uses a marine land bio wheel hob filter. I purchased a aquaclear 70 for the new tank after reading that they are the best hob on here, and I'll probably purchase another one before the tanks all set up. I would like to start seeding the aquaclear with bacteria it will be at least a month until everything is ready for the 55. Would putting the filter media in the 10 gal and letting it sit in there until the 55 is ready be the way to go? Thanks in advance

2. musserump09

musserump09 Well Known Member Member

you can actually run the NEW filter and your marine land on the 10gal., if possible. OR you can take a 10 gal. filter pad and probably fit it in your new filter. either way should help cycle quicker.

3. A

Alphonsus Well Known Member Member

You can just run the 10 gallon filter on the 55 gallon for about 2 weeks. What are you planning to stock with?

4. OP
    OP
    T

Would the flow rate on the aquaclear be too fast for a 10 gal? As far as stocking the 55 I have a dwarf gourami, Dalmatian Molly and a shoal of neons that are gonna move over. I am thinking some more mellow cichlids like apistogrammas cacatuoides or Bolivian Rams or both if they can live together peacefully. Also wanna add another small shoal no idea what though. Also maybe some bristlenose Pleco unless that's to many bottom dwellers. I'll be using sand incase I do get the Pleco nothing is set in stone and would love input from people with more experience

5. musserump09

Bristlenose are cool. wouldn't be a problem with rams or your other tank mates. I love my electric blue ram. he would be great addition I think.

as for your filiter...yes giving your stock putting the filter would not be a good idea. Plan B lol.

6. A

Oh so you haven't bought the tank yet? Then you should wait with the filter. You should up the number of neons to 15 which would be nice effect when they school. Perhaps a group of 8 corys would also be a nice addition.

7. B

Bdriver55 Valued Member Member

I just upgraded one of my tanks go ahead and put your new filter run it and I also put my ten gallon filter in the larger tank to help it filter faster. I also added some of the older water as well. I was cycled In less then two weeks

8. OP
    OP
    T

I didn't even think of running the old filter on the new tank that's probably the way to go. I have the tank and filter already. I'm building the stand from an old oak coffee table sitting in my parents attic. I also have some driftwood soaking too. I love the look of electric blue Rams just nervous because I've read there hard to keep. I love the way the neons look when they school.

9. musserump09

Don't believe everything on the internet. Fish Lore folks know what they are talking about so feel free to ask anyone here for advice about this hobby.

Driftwood... I soaked mine in tank water from the tank i was putting it in. Did it for a month. Water still tea brown but you cant notice.

10. OP
    OP
    T

I've read that the tannins from driftwood are beneficial to some fish including neons, is that true and any tips on electric blue Rams would be much appreciated.

11. musserump09

That is correct. I love my electric blue ram. my star fish. I plan to upgrade him in the future. once he finds a territory he is good with other fish. my clown and ram will chase each other sometimes but only over food and never for a long period of time.

12. A

The most you should soak your wood in is 1 weeks. I've did mine for only a day and jut added it to my tank.If your going for a more natural look thank just soak it for a day or so until you have a more lighter brown instead of a dark brown water.

13. OP
    OP
    T

Thanks for the tip. I'm so excited for the tank I'm prolly worrying about and doing stuff that I don't need to yet

14. A

One option you can do a bare tank with sand substrate with large pieces of driftwood and have a school of 30 neon or cardinal tetras. You can have a few (5 plants) anubias nana glued and have diy lights that are low lighted. If you only soak the wood for a day then when you add them to the tank you'll have a light color brown water. With the different low light plants using one of those light bulb holders you can position the lights in different spots and when the neon or cardinals go under the light they give a nice shine.

Here's an example: BlackHeaven_Achintya_zps89b2a540.jpg

2lwllrl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2016

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice