Starting a 20 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'More Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by ashes2beauty, Aug 3, 2015.

1. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

So I'm setting up a new tank, either a 20 or 29 gallon. I really want the 29 gallon, but I'm not sure if I have the space right now so I may have to stick with the 20. Either way, I want to have real plants in this one, but I'm not sure what all goes into that. I just want something like a java fern or lilaeopsis, something easy that looks good. Any suggestions on the best thing to plant them in would be great and anything you need to do to take care of them? Anything advice is greatly appreciated! :)

2. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

3. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

Thank you!

4. AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

No problem :)

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

5. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

A 29 and a 20 long have the same footprint, so if you can fit one you can fit the other.... the 29 is just higher.

6. alinkWell Known MemberMember

And a 37 is higher yet with the same footprint.

7. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

Yeah, it's the hight that I don't have room for... it covers a light switch :p

8. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Oh.....

9. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

yeah... I'm thinking if I turn it sideways though I could get away with the 29 gallon, so maybe. Any stocking suggestions for me?

10. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

How about a school of cories, a school of tetras (or rasboras or something else) and one or two centerpiece fish like guppies, peacock gudgeons, dwarf gouramis, or dwarf cichlids?

11. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

wow you are quite the fish arranger! are all of those good with plants? I hear some fish like to rip them out...

12. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Yes, they'll be fine with plants. Depending on the type of dwarf cichlid..... rainbow cichlids may rip the plants up. But rams or apistos won't.

13. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

I just recently picked up a dwarf flag cichlid/smiling cichlid (not sure if it's actually a curviceps or a dorsigera but both are very similar) this weekend and he's been very peaceful. I bought him to replace my bolivian ram because the BR was being very aggressive towards my gourami's. So far he's left all my plants alone and has gotten along well with everyone.

14. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

Sounds good :) I can't wait to get it set up!!

15. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Could you get a pic of it?

16. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

Sure will! As soon as I begin :)

17. tyguy7760Fishlore VIPMember

There are a lot of dwarf cichlids that would work. I think my BR was just an oddball that had aggression issues. As when I told the LFS and others on here they were surprised so I take from that the BR's aren't typically aggressive.

18. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

Awesome sauce :)

19. ashes2beautyNew MemberMember

About how long will it take to cycle?

20. Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

That depends. On average 2 weeks, I've heard....