Starting a 20 gallon shrimp tank

connor1

I am going to be starting a 20g long shrimp tank soon. I am looking for some advice. I am planning on keeping and breeding Cherry Shrimp in the tank.

I have a little over 4 inches of EcoComplete in my 29g. I think it may be to much as it gets pretty dirty. All I have in there is Jungle Val.
1. Take some EcoComplete out and use it for the 20g? Would the food just sink into the eco complete and not get eaten by the shrimp?
2. Black blasting sand?

I have an Aquarium co-op course sponge filter that has been running in my 29g a very long time along with the Fluval 206. I am going to transfer that over to the 20g, would that be sufficient for the tank? Or should I get another one and run 2? From my understanding shrimp have a very low bioload, will the sponge filter have enough bacteria to add shrimp right away and not have to cycle?

How many shrimp do I need to start the tank? I was thinking of getting the 8 pack of Cherry Shrimp from AquaHuna along with a 10 pack of Amano Shrimp. I would split the Amano Shrimp between the 29g and the 20g.

Once the Cherry Shrimp colony is going, what is another good species to add? It would have to be a Caridina shrimp so it wont interbreed, but have similar water parameter requirements correct?

I am considering painting the back glass of the tank black. Anyone done this and have some tips?

My goal is to have a big colony. I tried Cherry Shrimp in my 29g but it was less than successful and they died off very quickly. The only shrimp I have in there I bought at Petco incorrectly labeled as an Amano Shrimp, I'm not sure what it actually is. I got 3, 2 died quickly and I have had the one for a long time.

RedOnion

I am going to be starting a 20g long shrimp tank soon. I am looking for some advice. I am planning on keeping and breeding Cherry Shrimp in the tank.

I have a little over 4 inches of EcoComplete in my 29g. I think it may be to much as it gets pretty dirty. All I have in there is Jungle Val.
1. Take some EcoComplete out and use it for the 20g? Would the food just sink into the eco complete and not get eaten by the shrimp?
2. Black blasting sand?

I have an Aquarium co-op course sponge filter that has been running in my 29g a very long time along with the Fluval 206. I am going to transfer that over to the 20g, would that be sufficient for the tank? Or should I get another one and run 2? From my understanding shrimp have a very low bioload, will the sponge filter have enough bacteria to add shrimp right away and not have to cycle?

How many shrimp do I need to start the tank? I was thinking of getting the 8 pack of Cherry Shrimp from AquaHuna along with a 10 pack of Amano Shrimp. I would split the Amano Shrimp between the 29g and the 20g.

Once the Cherry Shrimp colony is going, what is another good species to add? It would have to be a Caridina shrimp so it wont interbreed, but have similar water parameter requirements correct?

I am considering painting the back glass of the tank black. Anyone done this and have some tips?

My goal is to have a big colony. I tried Cherry Shrimp in my 29g but it was less than successful and they died off very quickly. The only shrimp I have in there I bought at Petco incorrectly labeled as an Amano Shrimp, I'm not sure what it actually is. I got 3, 2 died quickly and I have had the one for a long time.
Okay, so using the ecocomplete in the 20g should be completely fine. I have some in my 20g and the shrimp do fine eating and breeding (they are also in a 20g Long w/ other fish). I do prefer sand in general but if you take out some of the ecocomplete in the 29 and add it to the 20 you would be adding some BB which is a good start for your cycling.
Even if you take the sponge out and add it to the 20g you would still need to wait and make sure its completely cycled in the new water. Shrimp are more sensitive then fish and will need the tank completely cycled before you add them. They are low bioload so your sponge should be plenty unless you plan on adding fish.
I cant answer which Caridinias are compatible since I have none but I can answer the painting question. If you dont want to paint it you can always find some black adhesive and stick it to the back. I usually just get black paper and tape it on and it looks good. Make sure you are acclimating them before adding them to the tank.

Upvote 0

Mandy627

2. Black blasting sand?

When I set my shrimp tank up I let it cycle for 2 and a half months to get biofilm, plants established and had a couple nerite snails in there with sponge filter. It's important to test your water for a month or two even if its cycled, to make sure water stays stable and you dont lose shrimp if a new tank syndrome appears. The substrate you have is great, if your worried about food getting lost and getting parameter spikes I suggest getting a tank safe feeding bowl, or a log to drop food on/in so they have a place to get food without losing half in substrate. You do wants some food in substrate since baby shrimp will hide in there and this will provide extra nibbles for them.

Upvote 0

connor1

So when I add the substrate and the sponge filter, they will be full of Malaysian Trumpet Snails, I'm guessing they will have enough bioload to sustain the bacteria, maybe I should add some nerites at the same time?

The substrate and sponge have algae on them and are pretty dirty. I'm guessing that will be enough and I wont need to add any food until I stock the tank right? When I do stock the tank with shrimp I will get one of those feeder plates you mentioned, how do you get the food on it though without sticking your arms in the tank to place it on there?

How long should I wait to see if it's cycled?

Upvote 0

Mandy627

So when I add the substrate and the sponge filter, they will be full of Malaysian Trumpet Snails, I'm guessing they will have enough bioload to sustain the bacteria, maybe I should add some nerites at the same time?

The substrate and sponge have algae on them and are pretty dirty. I'm guessing that will be enough and I wont need to add any food until I stock the tank right? When I do stock the tank with shrimp I will get one of those feeder plates you mentioned, how do you get the food on it though without sticking your arms in the tank to place it on there?

How long should I wait to see if it's cycled?
How long has it been going so far? Have you tested parameters yet? For feeding you can get some tongs, long tweezer things, you will need them for plants and stuff anyway and makes things alot easier by not having to put arms in tank like you said. You can also put some food in net then once in tank over bowl you flip it inside out so food falls in bowl, the tweezers will come in handy for doing this a swell. That's good that you have trumpet snails already, that should be enough but make sure not to feed them alot so they dont over multiply. They so eat biofilm, which you are doing to need alot of for baby shrimps as well as adults. I would also stick to one type of shrimp for now until you have a colony established, that way they are not out competed for nutrients in tank for reproduction...then you will only see one type of shrimp thriving and other dwindling.

Upvote 0

connor1

How long has it been going so far?
I think the 29g has been going for 3 years. The sponge filter has been in there for about a year. I haven't started the 20g yet.

Upvote 0

richiep

Unless your tap water is like ro water you can forget about putting caradina shrimp in as they all except one need ro water, the one and only that will live in tap water is the Babaulti shrimp so don't waste money on any other caradina

Upvote 0

connor1

Unless your tap water is like ro water you can forget about putting caradina shrimp in as they all except one need ro water, the one and only that will live in tap water is the Babaulti shrimp so don't waste money on any other caradina
I thought Amano Shrimp can live in hard water?

Upvote 0

Mandy627

I thought Amano Shrimp can live in hard water?
Amano shrimp can go with cherries, I believe what they meant was mixing caradina with neocaradina

Upvote 0

richiep

In the post above you mentioned buying cherry and amano then you add the paragraph below stating you'll add caradina shrimp so I was answering that particular shrimp.
Most people don't even know amano are caradina and mixing the two names like you did said you would add caradina as extra to amano

(Once the Cherry Shrimp colony is going, what is another good species to add? It would have to be a Caridina shrimp so it wont interbreed, but have similar water parameter requirements correct?)

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I would not mess with existing substrate.... Since it's a brand new tank I would just put in new substrate. (Diamond blasting sand is a good option)

I would not add amano shrimp to a cherry breeding tank. The amanos will hog all the food and bully away all the cherries.

You can transfer the media and start with 8 shrimp and see how it goes. If the shrimp didn't survive in the 29g then I would be really careful with the 20g, making sure to not overfeed, consistent water changes, etc

Java moss and LOTS of hiding spots will help a lot with breeding

Upvote 0

connor1

In the post above you mentioned buying cherry and amano then you add the paragraph below stating you'll add caradina shrimp so I was answering that particular shrimp.
Most people don't even know amano are caradina and mixing the two names like you did said you would add caradina as extra to amano

(Once the Cherry Shrimp colony is going, what is another good species to add? It would have to be a Caridina shrimp so it wont interbreed, but have similar water parameter requirements correct?)

I know Amano Shrimp are Caridina, I was asking what Caridina shrimp besides Amanos are compatible with Cherry Shrimp.

I would not mess with existing substrate.... Since it's a brand new tank I would just put in new substrate. (Diamond blasting sand is a good option)

I would not add amano shrimp to a cherry breeding tank. The amanos will hog all the food and bully away all the cherries.

You can transfer the media and start with 8 shrimp and see how it goes. If the shrimp didn't survive in the 29g then I would be really careful with the 20g, making sure to not overfeed, consistent water changes, etc

Java moss and LOTS of hiding spots will help a lot with breeding

The Cherry Shrimp I added to my 29g a while back all got the white rings of death and did not molt correctly. I do big water changes on that tank (40-50%), maybe that could be why? What would you recommend for a shrimp tank? 15-20% a week?

I think the fish could have been bullying the cherries to. I just added 3 tiny Amano Shrimp I got to the 29g. One molted already and they seem to be doing pretty good so far.

Upvote 0

Cherryshrimp420

I know Amano Shrimp are Caridina, I was asking what Caridina shrimp besides Amanos are compatible with Cherry Shrimp.

The Cherry Shrimp I added to my 29g a while back all got the white rings of death and did not molt correctly. I do big water changes on that tank (40-50%), maybe that could be why? What would you recommend for a shrimp tank? 15-20% a week?

I think the fish could have been bullying the cherries to. I just added 3 tiny Amano Shrimp I got to the 29g. One molted already and they seem to be doing pretty good so far.

Do you know the hardness (GH) of the water?

Instead of buying a test kit, see if you can find local water reports

Upvote 0

connor1

I have tons of test kits, I will test the water and get back to you on that.

Upvote 0

Mandy627

I have tons of test kits, I will test the water and get back to you on that.
It is good to know GH, KH and pH. Yes, 40-50% water change is too big for shrimp, this is why it's best to have them in a species only tank as well, fish release more ammonia molecules than shrimp do, so its tricky to find the perfect change schedule when their water parameters are changing rapidly. Also, what temperature is the tank? Does it fluctuate ever?

Upvote 0

connor1

Tap water
GH= 9-10
KH= 5
PH= 8

TDS measured using TDS pen

Not sure how accurate those tests were, my API test tubes suck and leak every time you mix it.

Upvote 0

richiep

If you read my post I gave you the correct answer about caradina and only babulti will live with them unless you use ro water

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Craig_84
  • Question
Replies
Views
ruud
  • Question
20 Gallon Tank Shrimp and Goldfish