Starting A 125 Discus Tank.

nikm128
A whole thread full of pics and I don't see one !
I am not using my phone to see little pics ,so I will wait ..
Sounds great and if I was not at just about full speed in fish room I would be considering discus myself !
I actually am but so far have done well talking myself out of it ..We'll see how I do when I go to DiscussMadness in 2 weeks!
Following and excited to see pics soon..
Do it!

86 ssinit
The fish today.
My first video. .

Thedudeiam94
coralbandit
Nice !
All caught up now that pics are showing !
It does seem that discus fever is alive and well on Fishlore !

86 ssinit

64F68788-2FED-4E11-B092-CDC58266E7FA.jpeg All set up! Still have to move some more plants and stuff but almost there. Added the gravel from the 45 and the mts that were with it. So set up a snail trap. Amazing how many are in there. All good though I like mts. Set up the fx6. Making some noise this morn. It’s supposed to fix itself every 12hrs so I will give it a few days to see what happens. Added a whole tray of media from my other tanks to get it started and have been adding some wc water to the tank for the bb to eat. Will test later today.
Been looking at discus breeders and have decided to go with Hans. Will order 6 2 1/2” discus of 3 different types either later this week or next. So I will have a total of 12 discus. Just wondering which 6 should go in the new tank first.

Ken Kanatsu
All set up! Still have to move some more plants and stuff but almost there. Added the gravel from the 45 and the mts that were with it. So set up a snail trap. Amazing how many are in there. All good though I like mts. Set up the fx6. Making some noise this morn. It’s supposed to fix itself every 12hrs so I will give it a few days to see what happens. Added a whole tray of media from my other tanks to get it started and have been adding some wc water to the tank for the bb to eat. Will test later today.
Been looking at discus breeders and have decided to go with Hans. Will order 6 2 1/2” discus of 3 different types either later this week or next. So I will have a total of 12 discus. Just wondering which 6 should go in the new tank first.
It looks good... can't wait to see the final product!

Thedudeiam94
All set up! Still have to move some more plants and stuff but almost there. Added the gravel from the 45 and the mts that were with it. So set up a snail trap. Amazing how many are in there. All good though I like mts. Set up the fx6. Making some noise this morn. It’s supposed to fix itself every 12hrs so I will give it a few days to see what happens. Added a whole tray of media from my other tanks to get it started and have been adding some wc water to the tank for the bb to eat. Will test later today.

I would wait and place them all in at the same time so everyone has an even chance of establishing territory. But I could be wrong depending on their different bacteria being added to the tank?

nikm128
The pecking order is probably mostly in place already, so I would think the one at the bottom of the list would get last pick either way.

86 ssinit
I would wait and place them all in at the same time so everyone has an even chance of establishing territory. But I could be wrong depending on their different bacteria being added to the tank?
Good advice. Have to talk to Hans. I figured he would add the fish together at he’s place for a few days before he shipped. Also 6 entering together at that size should be all right. Not like adding one and the rest start bullying it. But the bacteria thing I never thought of. So with that I should move what I have into the new tank and let his sit in the 45 for a few weeks to adjust.
What does everyone think of that? Thanks for all the advice . It’s great to have a group like this.

The pecking order is probably mostly in place already, so I would think the one at the bottom of the list would get last pick either way.
Funny thing my runt moved up the pecking order when I added the last 2 fish. He’s made a great improvement. The last 2 are at the bottom of the group even though they are a little bigger than the runt. They are both showing the black line of being on the bottom of the pecking order.
F1AF7265-C254-4C53-BC00-185C96F0D14F.jpeg

coralbandit
Your stand is a work of art .Bravo from one who understands and appreciates !
I would not be mixing the Petco discus with the Hans discus without both having a month or more with you ..
If I had to pick I would not risk the Hans discus , I am sure they cost more the $15 and will be a little nicer then dirty pigeon bloods ?
Just me but life is full of choices and is the result of them ..The two different discus are not on even ground IMO..

jmaldo
Definitely, speak with Hans. During research, it appeared most problems occurred when mixing from different breeders or retailers. Each can have different strains of bacteria can be threatening to an existing stock or visa versa.. A QT was advised and after no problems noticed. Then take 1 fish from each and QT together and monitor.
Just my .02.

86 ssinit
Well 125 is up and running. Checked water and all is good. Moved 5 Cory’s a nd my bn pleco in yesterday and they like it so today I will start moving the discus .
3151B55A-BD16-4C86-8145-6B4F0F354221.jpeg Next group I get will sit in the 45 for a few weeks. Will talk to the breeder and see what they recommend. But I don’t plan on 2 discus tanks so they will all be going into the 125. My lfs discus are all doing well fins up and eating good. Even the runt blue diamond has come along and looks so much better. That’s it under the dirty pigeon blood
A9A908D3-8675-4D74-AFCC-1E5BA428C288.jpeg will be adding 2 at a time.

Thedudeiam94
Wonder why your pigeon blood looks so dirty?

86 ssinit
Lol scrappy little fish playin in the mud . They are my favorite!!!

coralbandit
I meant know offense with the term 'dirty pigeon blood'. I did not invent it or think it necessarily derogatory ..I think they darken up like most show stress stripes ? They were such a hit when they were developed that so many breeders got into them that there are many now and the lines have not all been kept very select ?
I agree with jmaldo on the QT and different bacteria. We are back on the convo of the Asian discus carrying a infection that wipes out American discus fast ..
The owner /mod of the other forum who raise discus can speak to this as it was a very hot topic when he became a Watley distributor ..
I would conduct a thorough QT just to be sure .
As J mentions laststep of thorough QT is to add one of your fish to them when the coast seems all clear and see how that goes ..
I don't think anyone expects you to keep multiple discus tanks just to separate fish .. I don't ….YET !

86 ssinit
No offense taken . I like the name . Yes I like the idea of putting one of these with the incoming fish. I will let the new fish sit in the 45 for a few weeks and than try this. The new ones are coming from Hans so German discus. All in the 125 and looking good. Though one of the dirty guys is in hiding. Hopefully he’s out tomorrow otherwise I will have to remove the rock.
A9D10129-5BFE-4233-AB38-27E3DF20225E.jpeg
0E847FFD-D4DF-4A94-A2F7-9BEED035CB8B.jpeg

86 ssinit
Thanks. I did look at there fish and was thinking of going there. But I found what I liked at Hans and bought allready. Should get them on Friday.

coralbandit
They don't force you to buy fish !
It is just a nice meet up also for members ..

llrhodes
Not much to add. Skinned the stand and made the doors. Still waiting for the tank. Think I’ve got all the equipment.
Fx6 filter and a 350gph powerhead with 2 sponges.
2 finnex 300w heaters
A doctors 3-1
2 30” vivagrow 24/7 led lights.
75lbs of gravel.(yes it’s going to be a planted tank).
4lbs of biohome and a lb of matrix for the filter. Which I will mix with my other filters so it’s up and running pretty quick.
Anything I’m missing? View attachment 563328
What a beautiful stand!! Very nice work!!

86 ssinit
Thanks for the invite but I’m working an overnight shift. And who doesn’t buy when they go to a specialty store selling what they want most? .
Should get Hans fish tomorrow. Will put up pictures. Funny when you move fish the whole pecking order can change or just disappear. Hope it stays this way all fish look happy. No chasing. Today I move the rams see how they like the new tank.

llrhodes
Very beautiful variety of different colored fish!! I love it!! I can't wait to see the newcomers and all in the new 125

86 ssinit
Rams are in and looking good. Lots of caves and lots of room. Discus don’t seem to mind and we’re all around the bag while I floated it.
254A9AA8-8F04-4799-9F68-DA63981E9228.jpeg
1E2A32F0-A9BA-4B7D-8EB2-8D72FA33CCC7.jpeg

Ken Kanatsu
Cool!

Thedudeiam94
That is going to be a beautiful tank!

coralbandit
Thanks for the invite but I’m working an overnight shift. And who doesn’t buy when they go to a specialty store selling what they want most? .
Should get Hans fish tomorrow. Will put up pictures. Funny when you move fish the whole pecking order can change or just disappear. Hope it stays this way all fish look happy. No chasing. Today I move the rams see how they like the new tank.
Tank looks great ! Rams belong with discus IMO..Part of my interest in them ..
I am praying for will power when I go to DM..It is not hard to find something even with the 'I am getting nothing ' plan and I have plenty of fish money ….
I keep trying to convince myself I have no room and this is wrong time of year for me … Maybe just an adult pair that is ready to breed ?
That is easier then the troops and growing you guys are getting into huh ?
Looking forward to your Hans fish !

jmaldo
Wow!
Very Nice!
Looking at your creation, I have this overwhelming need to start scaping and adding some other inhabitants.
Eventually, I'll get there.

Thedudeiam94
Wow!
Very Nice!
Looking at your creation, I have this overwhelming need to start scaping and adding some other inhabitants.
Eventually, I'll get there.

Agreed I am eager to have some sand and a few swords maybe some jungle val and some corey cats in the future! Unless I get a black ram group from coralbandit that’s what I would really like! But that will be a good while from now! I’m just going to focus on feedings and water changes for the next few months!

jmaldo

Hey, now that is my plan. The contrast of my Blues with coralbandit Blacks is going to be "Stunning"
I know he has buyers lining up. C'mon, Black Rams, grow, grow, grow.

But that will be a good while from now! I’m just going to focus on feedings and water changes for the next few months!

Same here.

Thedudeiam94
Hey, now that is my plan. The contrast of my Blues with coralbandit Blacks is going to be "Stunning"
I know he has buyers lining up. C'mon, Black Rams, grow, grow, grow.

Same here.

I know right! Those black rams are definitely eye catchers! Once my fish get to adulthood the black with be a nice contrast to the white/blue with the red lines also! Patients is a virtue and it will be well worth the wait!

86 ssinit
Both of you are right and going about this the correct way. I am not!!! I’m taking big chances here. Planted 125 is a bigger risk. But the store bought discus do look fine so far. 3 days. Letting tank and fish adjust for a few days and plan to start water changing tomorrow.
Just got my Hans Discus and they do look great. Did acclimate them there way but not real happy. I think it’s just way to fast. 15 min from bag to tank just doesn’t seem right to me. One was laying down about an hour ago. Havnt looked since than. On the bright side they are bigger than I expected . I bought 3 different types 2 pigeon snakeskins 2 pigeon silvers and 2 flachen snakeskins. All looked the same in the bags but colored up as soon as I started the moving process.

Thedudeiam94
Can’t wait to see them!! Lucky you got ones a little bigger! I wish I would have! But I’m happy with what I have!

86 ssinit
These are the 2 1/2” fish but do look bigger. Definitely bigger than my other fish. Hans just called to ask how there doing. So walked down to look and all up and came to look at me . Starting to color up and have paired off in types.
BBA35D6B-D6A6-463F-B80D-AFC08020347B.jpeg
7791CE9B-1032-4087-8CBA-8143F7DCDE81.jpeg guess there in shock still. Probably never seen plants or Cory’s before. But look good. And a pic of the last 2 store bought I got.
FF5C8997-757C-4867-B2F3-7B5F3F708443.jpeg

Thedudeiam94
Liking the silvers! Whenever you can get a close up photo please post another!

coralbandit
Funny how they have paired in color matched types ...
My reading on discus says that if they are kept in mix colors most will seek out one that looks like them ..
How do they know what they look like ??????????????? I mean they get color ??? Not according to many people ?????
I think the world highly underestimates nature and over estimates their own thoughts ..
When I had them I had 2 colors and they sorted themselves by color ….
They do look and good and very cool that Hans called to check ..That is good business IMO..
Looking forward to seeing this build grow ..
You are correct that your approach is the riskiest of the discus builds going now ..
Baring error ,jmaldo , Thedudeiam94 are doing discus the safest ..
Where did the cories come from and were they in with the other discus ?
If they were in with them then they count as your Qt. qualifier ..If they are new then good deal QTing them also ..
Do plan any QT type treatment or just observation unless an issue presents ?
Meant to mention to all , stayaway from black rams ! I am doing my best with them but as far as rams go they are the most frail and the most mean ram I have had !
Not real sure they are mean to other fish [I do think they killed a bunch of my super reds babies ] but mostly they are mean as sin to each other ! They are their own worst enemy ! And the price they are going for now is out of control but I understand why ..They are hard to raise and keep ...I would not be considering them with any fish myself ..

86 ssinit
Cory’s have been there all along. Everything came after them and they were bred in my tank . As to color matching yes all of mine swim together but do move to their color match the most. Never even thought about that till now.
Yes mine does seem the riskiest. But have to say this is the way it was done. This is all new to me that you don’t keep different breeders fish together. Years ago that was the goal and no breeders said to keep there’s by themselves. Find it hard to believe after almost 20yrs they made them weaker? I’m hoping that’s just a sales gimmick. But I will find out. The colors are much nicer now across the board. Even the last lfs pictures I put up I would have loved to have years ago!

jmaldo
Both of you are right and going about this the correct way. I am not!!! I’m taking big chances here. Planted 125 is a bigger risk.

As mentioned the biggest concern: Is mixing of the 2 batches of fish from different sources, cross contamination. I am sure you will do your best by them. Still no guarantee for any of us.

During research I bookmarked this article. Here is an Excerpt:

"Keeping Discus successfully is made easier by eliminating the known risks and there's conclusive evidence that sometimes, when two batches of fish from different sources are put in the same tank, it can have devastating results - with one set becoming very sick in just a few days. If the fish are going to 'cross contaminate' it will show itself within a 48 to 72 hour period. This is generally referred to as 'Discus plague' and can be treated."

Meant to mention to all , stayaway from black rams ! I am doing my best with them but as far as rams go they are the most frail and the most mean ram I have had !
Not real sure they are mean to other fish [I do think they killed a bunch of my super reds babies ] but mostly they are mean as sin to each other ! They are their own worst enemy ! And the price they are going for now is out of control but I understand why ..They are hard to raise and keep ...I would not be considering them with any fish myself ..

No!
Well, so much for planning. Thanks for the info. When ready hopefully you'll have GBR or you mentioned you have some "Golds", do they have the same temperament as the "Blacks" or still to early to tell?

coralbandit
No!
Well, so much for planning. Thanks for the info. When ready hopefully you'll have GBR or you mentioned you have some "Golds", do they have the same temperament as the "Blacks" or still to early to tell?

The golds are much like the blacks ..
I don't want to say all the blacks are bad ..I have a couple pairs that are some of the best parents I have had as far as rams go .
I also know that I watch them hammer each other more then any other ram and are tougher to pair then any other ram.
I have had several customers give me their accounts of how they lost the mate to their blacks or golds ..Homicide ! Not joking ...
They may not be the worst fish ever or a fish marked for death but I feel obligated to warn all this fish comes with risk , like wondering where the money went a couple months later ! I guess if you all jumped on the discus bus this may not scare you ?
I think they are gorgeous fish and am putting fourth extra effort to get some good ones out but these fish have risk involved that the weary should avoid …[$$$]
My best super dark pair has fry with them now again and was born on 9/11 so they have lived almost 10 months ..None of my original black stock lasted more then 8 months with me so they are in the red zone now IMO .Just waiting and hoping to see improvement with these fish as I breed them but that takes more time .
I told a buddy if I was not so deep into them ,the ram guy and a whacko in my head I don't think I would go for blacks again ..It is hard to ask for so much money for such a unsure fish IMO..I truly like to offer better or best ,not what there is ...

86 ssinit
Yes the mixing of the fish is starting to scare me . Hope it’s not what they say. But I’m still at least a month away.
Wow the golds are mean too. I have golds in both my tanks. I allways thought they were less aggressive. Had a really nice gold earlier this year that after 6 months started to turn into a balloon ram. Not sure what was going on all other rams were fine but this ones whole body started changing. Put it in qt tried medicating(I’m no pro and first time) but it was dead after a month.
Fish are up this morn and looking good.
BAB81F4F-2672-4C94-830B-891FB96F8EA8.jpeg
1F5BD22C-A4E4-486B-83F9-348FF9D990A9.jpeg
255F38BE-569F-4CF5-8D3F-298232DB8C51.jpeg
27601403-8976-4493-B179-E4DCD565F1CB.jpeg Only thing is the pigeons may have left their red in Baltimore. Tried the blackworms and a few made feeble attempts at it. Than added some freeze dried Beefheart and they moved on that. But probably looking for the frozen type. Going to hold off and see if they will eat the blackworms.
All in all I’m impressed!! More than what I expected. When I put them in the tank they all looked the same. Took a bit for the blues to color so hopefully the reds will also color up and start showing the red that the dudes are now showing .

Thedudeiam94
The “blue” looking of the white pair looks awesome! Which of the ones you got are they? I’m actually surprised how much larger they look in your tank unlike mine. Mine don’t seem that big in the photos.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
f2002
Replies
Views
jackywacky
Replies
Views
jmaldo
Replies
Views