Starting a 10 gallon Betta playground

1. martini4 Member Member

So, I got all the fish from my 10g relocated to the 55. Drained the 10, took out all the plants, removed the gravel and started washing it. I still have to clean the algae of the the glass that the Oto missed. I plan on setting it up as a Betta tank. I'm going to reuse some of the gravel and split it with pool filter sand I have. For plants, I currently have Anacharis, Argentine Swords, Scarlet Temple, and Green Rotala. Are there any plants that Bettas particularly enjoy, or will these work? I've never had a Betta before and I want him to be happy.

2. Daniel W Member Member

I've never had a betta before, but I can tell a betta would love those plants. Especially a 10 gallon all to himself! You might want to get some driftwood for him hide in. I heard they like those.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If you're splitting with pool sand, be sure to add a divider or they'll mix and you'll only see the gravel. If it were my tank, I'd only go with sand - much easier to clean.

Those will work fine! I like broad leaf plants for my betta to use as resting places - swords, large Anubias, and large Java ferns would also work.

4. martini4 Member Member

I do have driftwood, and a few rocks to make a little cave. The only other thing I plan on adding is a snail to help with algae control.

5. Daniel W Member Member

Well, then I think your all set! Except for the broad plants thing. But other than that, boom!

6. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Nerites are a good choice, though I'd also work on figuring out what's causing the algae so you can fix the source, rather than just using snails as a bandaid.

7. martini4 Member Member

I'm pretty sure I was overdosing ferts causing the algae. I stopped dosing 2 weeks ago and set the lights for a 5 hour photo period and it cleared up a lot. I don't have snails yet, I was just saying that would be the only other inhabitants of the tank. Thanks, though.

8. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Yeah places for it to hide are nice. I have some caves, here's a look at mine
    [​IMG]
    The right corner is full of Java ferns.
    The plant on the left is Amazon sword.
    Mopani driftwood.
    I've caught the Betta sleeping in a cave once.

9. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like a comfy home for a betta. :)

10. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think overdosing on ferts caused the algae assuming you do water changes. It was likely the lighting. Glad that it helped!

11. martini4 Member Member

Nice setup. I need to get another Java Fern for this tank.

[​IMG]

This is what I have so far. I'm going to see if the LFS will take some of my unused plants for a trade in lol.

12. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Oooo very cool

13. Daniel W Member Member

It looks really nice! It would look better if there were more plants though! Just my suggestion,

14. martini4 Member Member

Oh I know. Have to wait until payday and then a day off. I need to get more root tabs and something bushy, not sure what though. Not to mention the selection around here sucks!!

15. codyrex97 Well Known Member Member

Amazon has plant options and all the ones I've ordered have come in healthy green