Starter - with 11 small fish in a 6.5 UK Gallon Tank - Is this okay???

darrenb1

Reaction score
I am a recent starter with a small tank 6.5 UK Gallon, I got as a Christmas present.
I currently have the following fish in my tank:
2 black skirt tetra
2 black phantom tetra
1 Tiger Barb
6 Neon's
Is this to many fish?
I have also noticed that one of the phantom tetra has a missing tail fin - probably lost in a fight or something

Would appreciate any experienced advice on my new set up.

Darrenb1

Stradius011

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sorry, but you have too much fish.

darrenb1

Reaction score
Thanks Stradius011.
I really wasn't sure and was getting a little concerned as there visible aggression among the fish. I only added the 6 neons recently. When I asked the pet shop owner they referred me to their small tanks in the shop and said I could easily accomadate the neons.
What size tank would you reccomend?

darrenb.

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For the fish you currently have, you would need a minimum of a 20 gal tank (17 UK gal, I believe?). But if you want to add more fish in the future, you should go even bigger.

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree you need a bigger tank for the fish you already have, but until you can do this, you can help cut down on stress the fish are dealing with by doing 50% water changes every day or everyother. The reason to do this is because the buildup of nitrates in the water will predispose your fish to disease, and conflicts. The fin damage could have started by a nipped fin, but fin rot set in because the water may not be healthy. Do you have extra oxygen being pumped into the tank? Air pump and bubble stones are the usual way, and will help with the health of fish and the efficiency of the bacteria needed to accomplish the nitrogen cycle.

Have you read all the articles under the link below Fish Tank Beginners Guides ? Do you test your water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates? What are the readings? This will give us lots more information so we can help answer your questions. Best of Luck

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

darrenb1

Reaction score
Thanks April & Sean for your valuble advice.
I was not even aware of this whole tank cycle issue - The guy i got fish off told me to fill my tank water for 2/3 weeks and leave to stand. He then tested PH for me which I understand was okay - and then I put in two fish, then another three a few weeks later, then the 6 neons last week. God i really have created a difficult enviroment for these fish.

Anyway I did a 50% water change yesterday - they seem happier and they're not chasing each other as much, will do another tomorrow and so on until I get a larger tank. I am also being careful with the amount of food I put in.
The fan I have is a Aquael mini fan, the stones look like small natural beech type stones(bought for the pet shop) and finally I have plastic plants.
I really am such a beginner - plenty of room learning.

I am going to buy a test kit tomorrow - any reccomendations??
Should I also get some real plants and take out the plastic ones?

When I do the tests will post the results

Best regards,

Darrenb1

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The API Freshwater Master Test Kit seems to be very popular. I use it, and you see it referenced by large numbers of people here all the time. If you can't find it at your local store, you can get it online

Here:

Or Here:

Whatever kit you decide on, get liquid tests, NOT test strips as they are apparently not very accurate.

Good luck!

darrenb1

Reaction score
cheers will try and get a liquid tester kit.

Any views of the real plants?

Also another question - should I keep my tank lights on all the time - or is it okay to have them on intermittently?

Thanks,

Darrenb1

sgould

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It is preferable to have the lights on intermittently. Say 5-7 hours per day. If you leave them on all the time you will end up with a big algae outbreak. When you are not around to view the tank anyway, the ambient light during the day is all your fish need to function, and at night they need down time to rest just like we do.

I can't offer much advise on the plants. All mine are plastic. There are some advantages to live plants, but they require more care. Hopefully someone who actually keeps live plants can chip in and give you some pointers on that.

darrenb1

Reaction score
Thanks for your help - finding this site to be great.
I went to some other sections just recently and others are reccomending the real plants - but then like the fish you have to choose the right plants regarding light levels etc. Will probably help my fish considering im over stock - will keep down toxin levels etc.

Hopefully some one else will be able to help me on this item.

darrenb1

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Glad you are seeing some improvements.

Plants can help take nitrates out of the water. Which can help your tank health, but if you end up getting plants that need lots of light, and yours isn't bright enough, they will not thrive, and as they decompose, can contribute to bad water quality.

Lots of folks have tanks without plants for years , plants are a next step to take, when you have had your tank successfully for long enough you feel comfortable with it. Plants do help break up the landscape where your fish live, which helps them establish their favorite hang out places. Some fish need this to feel comfortable. I have several fish like my Black Ghost Knife fish that hide in a plant (little does he know I can see him)! At some later time if you want a planted tank, you have to research CO2, lighting, substrate, fertilizers, not to mention the plants. Co2 is NOT essential for many plants. But lots of folks that are really into planted tanks use it. However Co2 can also be really bad on fish if it isn't done right, so........... Lights help plant growth, and some plants need really strong light, but remember lights also contribute to algae growth. The rule here is to keep algae down keep the lights on no longer than 10 hours a day, preferrably 5 hours on 2 off, 5 on. This is sufficient for plants, but will not contribute to the algae. Plants have to be trimmed, and have any dead leaves removed.

In my opinion, just put in your tank what makes you happy, and what you feel prepared for. Once you are ready to get a new tank, you may feel more ready to jump into plants.

Fish in the Frozen North 8)

darrenb1

Reaction score
cheers April,

I went down to a local fish store on Saturday - was recomended on a local Irish website. Met the owner and he was very helpful and appreciated my lack of knowledge seemed like an old school sort of guy . This store is a fish store only no other pets - i was very impressed.
So he is going to assit me in getting my tank right also. He sold me "water safe" to break down ammonia and nitrates which he said will help sort out the "new tank syndrome". He told me not to do the real plants yet until I build up my knowledge and experience.
He also said that the pet shop which sold me a single tiger barb didn't know much about fish.

DarrenB1

susitna-flower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That sounds great. It is often helpful to be able to talk face to face to sort through getting exactly what you want. Just remember, and I really am not trying to disrespect anyone, but it is the business of a LFS to SELL. Which means you can get lots of advice, and shop, but some items it is much easier on your pocket book if you buy online. I'm talking about things like filters etc. Just today I was in a fish store that had a Eheim Professional 3, canaster filter with media for $648, and you can get the same filter online with media for between $350 and $400.
I just bought a used 125 gal tank, and everything else is going to be purchased online. I don't feel bad, believe me I support the LFS with fish purchases and buying frozen food! Best of Luck

Land of the Midnight Sun 8)

darrenb1

Reaction score
Cheers April,

I hear what you are saying and will bear that in mind as I get more into the hobby, buying equipment etc.
It is an expensive hobby when upgrading tanks etc. and Ireland is very expensive for everthing now as it is.

I carried out another water change yesterday 50% - and i also clean out the stones and the glass. There was algae growing on the glass so got rid of it. - hope that was okay. They are all looking alot more relaxed today and the taill fin is growing back on the one that got fin rot. Staring to enjoy the whole ting now - not as worried. Hope your new tank works out well for you.
Thanks for all you help will keep you posted

Regards,

Darren.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom