Starter Pond

Daniebaby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey everyone.

I live in South Florida and have been wanting a pond for a while now. I'm thinking of starting a small pond in a 100 gallon horse trough.

I would like for the location of the pond to be under a huge cypress tree in my backyard or near it. There is no outlet near, which means I would need to run a cord across my lawn to power a pump. Not gonna work for me.

Is it possible to have a healthy pond that is heavily planted (in partial shade) and a few fish eventually without a pump/ filter? I am open to not placing the pond directly under the tree to allow for more sunlight if needed.

What's the best way to let nature do it's thing? Any decent solar pump recommendations? I would rather not have any fancy mess with it. I am a simple girl and kind of want a natural ecosystem going on.

I'm going to start with a pot of a few gallons on my patio and some aquatic plants within the next week or two... just to get a feel for it. But I have this vision of a fish pond in my backyard and I'm not letting up. I need tips and advice. Thanks in advance!

Tony_097

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Is any light passing through the leaves ? I have tried solar pumps but there just not for me

Daniebaby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tony_097 said:
Is any light passing through the leaves ? I have tried solar pumps but there just not for me
I think so.... I actually just cleared out vines that grew over the cement slab directly under the tree today.... I will observe more tomorrow. There is light there but I'm sure it's not direct sunlight.

Daniebaby

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What faults did you find with solar pumps?

Rtessy

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
It's entirely possible to have a "still pond" filtered only by plants. You would need some kind of sponge plan, like anacharis or red root floaters. Half my tanks aren't filtered, just the ones with goldfish and plecos.

Tony_097

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Daniebaby said:
What faults did you find with solar pumps?
Every time i have had one their life time was a little short

nicks8301

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I've not seen any viable solar pumps on the market, but I do use solar power via two panels linked to a Jecod 24V DC pump and two 12V lead acid batteries and Solar Charge Controller. The pump is plenty powerful and the setup works brilliantly in the summer, supplemented by a solar air pump. Winter needs regular battery charging support and the batteries do struggle in the cold.
The pump is rated at 5000L/H, if you could find a 12V version in that ballpark it may provide a sustainable system.

Nerium

Reaction score
nicks8301 said:
I've not seen any viable solar pumps on the market, but I do use solar power via two panels linked to a Jecod 24V DC pump and two 12V lead acid batteries and Solar Charge Controller.
Very interested in this as I'm investigating whether I could make a pond feasible in a spot without electricity as well ...I've seen mention a few times of using different (bigger) batteries with solar panels, etc ... problem is I've never done anything even close to that in my life. Do you know of any guides? My attempts at searching for info have been pretty unfruitful so far

Also, what would you consider a viable pump?

(Daniebaby, your pond idea sounds lovely - I hope you can get it going! )

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom