starter kits?

1. Marinero Member Member

What do you all think of the starter kit aquariums with the bio wheel? ???

2. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Starter kits do not usually include the best equipment in them, but if you can find one with a bio wheel in the kit, that sounds promising. I think the starter kits are a good way to start in the hobby with the knowledge that once you learn more about what works best and which type of equipment best suits your needs, you can upgrade. I have bought 2 starter kits from WalMart, and they have served their purpose. Can you let us know more about this starter kit you are talking about? I've never seen one with a bio wheel included. ;D

3. tootie03 Initiate Member

4. Marinero Member Member

The Aquarium kit is called Aqua-Tech I have HEX 5 but am thinking about getting the 29 G version for some African Cichilds :)

5. Marinero Member Member

And yes it includes a bio-wheel with a pump/filtration assembly, light, cover, heater and some other water treatment stuff. One reason why I like them is not only because it's for begginings but that and the equipment fits in nice and snug withing the hood provided. :D

6. dano569 Member Member

i bought a 10 gallon aqua culture starter a couple of years ago and then the same brand 55 gallon i bought about 6 or 7 months ago.they came with decent stuff,but you probably do wanna upgrade filters and heaters.mine came with a glass heater i'm gonna replace soon.the filters have bio fiber instead of a bio wheel but i took that out and now it i just use it for a little more mechanical and chemical filtration. ;)

7. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

dano i have a aqua culure 10 gal starter too, is there a way to replace the bio fiber with a bio wheel??? i heard that the bio wheels are better...but i didnt know that there was a way to switch.

8. dano569 Member Member

no i mean i just took the bio fiber out and now all they have is just the filters in now.i think tou might be able to but a bio wheel on it i have a bio wheel the same size as my aqua tech pump i'll see if you can and let you know the only problem i see is you would have to leave the top off or find a biowheel top that woud fit it.you might be better off just buying something like a penguin 125 or even something smaller,because by the time you bought the biowheel,the top,and the piece the biowheel sits on might be more than a new filter. ;)i will check and see if you can convert it though. 8)

9. newbie101 Well Known Member Member

so you just took out the bio fiber? then every time you change the cartridge all the bacteria will be destroyed because the only purpose of the bio wheel/biofloss is to provide a home for the bacteria so the tank doesnt re-cylce when you change the cartridge.

10. dano569 Member Member

i cut a piece of the old filter out and plant it in the new filter like gunnie said and i'm also gonna try to only replace one filter at a time.i did think about putting it back in but i have two big bio wheels on another filter in the tank and the bio fiber seems to restrict my flow after a couple of weeks build up.

11. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

Dano,
    Can the bio fiber be squeezed in old tank water every week so your water flow isn't restricted? I used to have an aquaclear running on one of my tanks, and had to clean the sponge every week or it would get clogged. Just wondering if this was the same problem you are having. :D

12. dano569 Member Member

it's a coarse fiber that has a frame around it and it doesn't take long for the gunk to get built up on it.i might try them out again soon.i'm gonna get another bio wheel soon and move that filter to another tank so i might try it then.

13. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

It sounds like the filters I use for my whisper filter that came with a kit. Just play around with the different media from other filter systems, and you might find something that fits your filter also.